Singapore: Gardens By The Bay.

Before I hopped on the plane, people kept telling me how "small" Singapore was.

"The subway goes everywhere! And you can walk a lot of places."

It was true, the subway does go a lot of places. And from where I was staying in the city (near the Botanic Garden), I could indeed walk a lot of places. But one place I couldn't walk to, or figure out which subway route to take to get to, were the Gardens by the Bay. So I took a cab.

Separated a little from the action of the downtown area, the gardens are a collection of lush things to look at, but with a slight surrealism.

The thing that drove me to want to go to the Gardens was my view atop the Sands two days prior. From that high view I had spotted the trees featured in the garden...


The "Supertree Grove" in the garden consisted of 12 trees that are, at maximum, 50 meters (164 feet) high. There is a suspension bridge that connects a few of them, which you can pay to walk across to take in more elaborate views of the garden...



And, of course, it provides you with a different perspective on the city...


They tower!!


Similar to the Botanic Garden, you could see the importance of the Chinese New Year being celebrated throughout the garden. Throughout a few places were these gorgeous terracotta horses.


Walking through the Gardens is mostly free. To walk across the suspension bridge in the Supertree Grove cost a small amount. And it was worth it. Also worth it: paying to visit the inside of the two domes in the gardens.

One dome was the Cloud Forest. The other was Flower Dome.

The Cloud Forest was a tropical paradise with greenery and a walkway about seven stories up. Amongst the lush life were totem poles...


But also - and one of my favorite things to shoot - a lot of flowers. The majority of which were beautiful orchids...


I've no idea what this one (below) is... But it reminded me of a flamingo.


Also in the Cloud Forest were a series of waterfalls. Here's a picture of one I walked under...


Again... So many orchids! I was in awe, as I manage to kill every orchid I receive within a few weeks. But inside the Cloud Forest, they were growing off of walls!


After a good hour inside the Cloud Forest, I walked to the Flower Dome.  And, again, you could tell it was Chinese New Year being celebrated with the horses decorating the place.


Beyond tropical flowers and orchids, I go to see flowers that populate other regions of the Earth. And I also got to see one of my favorites... Daisies.


Another few orchid and rose varieties...





The last time I had the opportunity to shoot so many flowers was about five years ago in Amsterdam. So colorful! I couldn't get enough of them!

Comments

Popular Posts