Healthy Dish For The Weak: Beach Salad.

Best salad ever!

Whoa! Getting excited there. I should elaborate...

The Husband and I spent the weekend in Toronto. And we decided to try something new for us: Edward Gardens. I didn't take my camera, so I didn't have any photos of the gardens. (Shame on me. As they were quite colorful and pretty.)  Afterwards, we went over to Don Mills, an outdoor shopping area, and had lunch at a place I had never been. The Husband had been to it a number of times ad actually had a recommendation for me...

"Try the Beach Salad," he said.

The Husband insisting I try anything means that he actually thinks it is worthy. So I listened to him and ordered it.

As I said earlier, it was the best salad I'd ever had. And like with anything I eat at restaurants and love, I began to analyze every part of the salad's ingredients.

"Dude," I said to him, "I can totally make this at home. It's super easy."

And today, back in Boston, I did!


I loved the salad because it was not the usual boring salad on lunch menus. I am so very over Caesar salads. Iceberg wedge salads? Never even liked those. Beet salads? Some times I can't stand beets. I have to be in a very "beety mood" to enjoy them. And I prefer golden beets to red ones. And salads with blue cheese and pears? Those are dessert ingredients. (And a perfect dessert too!) No... The ingredients in this salad are what made me go "gaga" for it...



  • Mixed Greens (A big self-serving-sized bowl full)
  • Goat Cheese (About an ounce)
  • Red Quinoa (1/4 cup of cooked)
  • Avocado (1/3, cubed)
  • Strawberries (4, stemmed and quartered)
  • Candied Pecans (4 pecans, chopped)
  • Poppy Seed Dressing (2 tsps)
  • Grilled Chicken (one breast)

My intention, when I went to Whole Foods this morning, was to get ingredients to make the candied pecans and the poppy seed dressing myself. I decided to buy the dressing. But I did make the candied pecans... And they are AMAZING! But you can easily buy them too.

It's such a simple salad to construct. I made a full recipe of the red quinoa, so I have enough to eat later in the week. And the candied pecans will last me months at this point.

Oh I'll be eating this salad for months to come.

Comments

Popular Posts