"Holy Crap! You Showed Up!"

That was the response from a few people I ran into this weekend. I was some place I said I would never go back to...

Bikram Yoga Teacher Training.

I love teaching yoga. I haven't had much time in the past two years (lack of consistent travel schedule equaled a lack of practice schedule and therefore teaching schedule), but I did love it. And I was good at it.

At the end of my nine weeks in San Diego in the Fall of 2010, I was over the whole process of training. I was ready to get home and have access to a bath tub. And a kitchen. And a proper bed. And I was over being easily annoyed by everyone.

"I will never go back to training to help out. I may never go back for recert. I'll just attend one of the retreats for recert. But hell will freeze over before I go back to training. Not even for recertification."

I did indeed say that.

But I've had a lot of change over the past few weeks. And I found myself needing something to ground me in familiarity. Plus, I knew three years ago when I decided to go to training that I would have to get recertified. It's part of the agreement you take on when you become a Bikram teacher... If you want to continue to teach, you have to recertify.

Many people from my training - and my friends and family - know I am cynical of the training process. And of - quite frankly - Bikram himself. There are parts to him I very much appreciate. But many parts to him that just bug the crap out of me. But even I, the cynical one, went back to recertify.

That says something.

And it was surprising to quite a few people. Including myself.

So now I am officially recertified as a teacher.



And I am very happy I went back and did that.

It was a great experience. And it was great to see so many people from my class. Will I ever teach again? I think I will, when the time is right. But for now, I've got quite a few things on my plate to deal with first.

Comments

Simmm said…
I'm glad you had a great experience! I have always wondered what recertification entails... if you care to share, what did you have to do?
Rebecca Raye said…
Great news! Really want to hear details if you have any to share.

Popular Posts