"How Do You Blog Consistently?"

The other day, a guy who used to work for me randomly posted at me about the topic of "blogging" on Twitter...


"It's not easy," I indicated.

And that's for sure. I told him it took a full year (around 2005) of me writing posts, publishing them - but not making them public - before I actually felt comfortable enough to let them live in the "public" space. And even then, finding a rhythm for publishing frequency was all over the place. And has continued to be...



You can see, looking at the archive of posts over these past nine years (yep, in my NINTH year here!) that the number of posts I do has ranged quite a bit.

The years where I posted the most (2007 and 2008) were when  I was working at a company I loved and was thriving. I was happy. I found plenty to post about, even if it was complete crap. And then you can see all of that start to pull back in 2010, after I'd move to Canada and was depressed. then 2011 and 2012 came along, and I was happier - because I was back to living in the States, but I was exhausted from work. Then 2013 came along, and though I spent most of the year consulting, you can tell I had personal issues to deal with that kept me from wanting to post.

But now... 2014 is here. And I am traveling and posting so much. Yes, I am happy. And yes, if I wasn't doing all of this travel, I would probably be posting about as much. Why? Because I am back in a space of, "It's none of my business what others think about what I write."

And that is the key to blogging: Not caring what others think about what you write.

Not every post is going to be good. I would say 90% of what I write is silly and pedestrian. But each day, I wake up (lately) wanting to say something. It could be about a dream I had last night. Or it could be about a simple picture I took. Or maybe it's about how much I love my lipstick.

One of the reasons I pulled back on my writing for a few years was because I wasn't surrounded by an energy that encouraged me to feel as though I could be fearless. I was guarded with every thought I shared, whether it was written or spoken. In fact, the majority of my posts in those years revolved around my Bikram practice. Why? Because that was the only beautiful and supportive thing I felt secure in writing about at the time.

Once you are able to let your guard down about whether or not something is "good enough" to share, and feel comfortable with knowing that what you write could end up being complete crap... You'll blog "consistently."

Already this year, I am nearly about to top what I wrote all of last year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I top it before the end of this month. I make it a goal lately to post once a day. Whether or not I have something you find relevant to say.

Comments

Kara said…
Hi Heather,

I have been following you for a looong time. I actually discovered this blog by doing a Google search for the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (I just had to know when the release date was for it that particular year). No surprise, being the PSL afficionado that you are, On Common Ground was very high on the search results page. I read that post and immediately went and started reading from your first entry until I was current and I've been right with you ever since.

For as long as I've been a reader though, I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've left comments. And I have to say, I'm sorry for that. Today's post about being a consistent blogger resonates with me as a reader, but in a different way. It reminds me that I need to be a consistent supporter to people like yourself who produce free content that I genuinely look forward to reading every day, no matter how "silly and pedestrian" it may be. Validating someone's work is such a powerful thing and it's so easy to do, yet I'm so guilty of not doing it enough. During that period of time where you weren't quite so active, I can honestly say that I missed reading OCG.

Reading about your travels and other goings-on lately has been an absolute pleasure. I love to travel so this Seven in Seven Tour has been completely fascinating even though I am a bit jealous ;-) Seriously, if I get to see just a fraction of what you will in seven months I will die happy.

Cheers to you, On Common Ground, and to your next destination!
Me said…
Aww! Thanks Kara!!!

Yes... The PSL is a SUPER HUGE DEAL in my life. (Counting down the days till the spicy buttery goodness this year!)

I appreciate all readers who indulge my writing fantasy here on OCG. THANK YOU ALL! And I LOVE comments! Good and bad.

I'm currently on a flight to San Diego as I type this comment. GOD BLESS JETBLUE'S FREE WIFI!
Natalie said…
What a wonderful post by Kara! You have been an inspiration to me, too, Heather. I discovered you during my Bikram 60 day challenge (when you were on your 101 day challenge!) and have been following you ever since. You help me to stay consistent in my own blogging and to get back on the wagon with Bikram. Keep up the fab work!

Popular Posts