Can 2007 Be About Me Again?

Time Magazine said the 2006 Person(s) of the Year was "You" (me too.) And it's kinda true. 2006 was a "Missus" year. I really focused on trying to get rid of the "toxicity" in my life. But it's really an "on-going" project; and I will need most of 2007 as well. 2007 won't be a year about everyone else. It's going to be, again, "all about me.

In 2006, I started actively writing this blog. But most people don't know that I initially registered this blog in January 2005. It took a full year of writing entries, but I never felt happy with what I wrote. So I didn't begin publishing until 2006. (And that's something you should all know... I start way more blog entries than I actually publish.)

Also in 2006, I decided I was "over" the long work week. I don't work at a law firm. I don't need "account" for my day in 6-minute increments. And I don't need to spend 15 minutes of every day "logging" the hours I spend working on each of my clients. That's a sign to the creative agency you're working at that "Gee, maybe our employees shouldn't have as many clients as we give them to work on... Perhaps we should actually hire more people?"

And that brings up a small subject I would like to segue to right now... A few weeks ago, after I wrote that I was going to be going back to work at a new agency, someone left an anonymous comment on my blog. But because I have "veto" power over which comments get posted, I didn't publish it. Why? Well, because the comment was "bitchy" and I was trying my best to not give in to the bitchiness. I didn't want to spew any venom, because the comment "read" as though someone I previously worked with had written it; though I don't know who.

What did the comment say? Here you go:

"Congratulations on your new job. Perhaps though, you should be careful about what you write in your blog when you start at it. You wouldn't want it to get banned in your new work place. Blogs tend to get people into more trouble with their employers than you might think they do."

Now, only a few people know I figured out the blog was banned at my former work place (because, I didn't realize, many people there read it regularly. And I had done a posting on a friend of mine who left his job there for another agency.) In fact, the only people who know the blog was banned are people who worked there. So the comment was obviously left by someone who also works there. And I'd like to take this brief moment to let the person who wrote the comment the following:

I got my new job BECAUSE of my blog.

Yep. You read that correctly. The new company I am working for knew NOTHING of my career as a search marketing pirate. They came across a freelance writing listing I have on a freelancer's website. They were looking for creative writers. They read my writing samples. They saw my blog listed on it. They read my blog. The actually liked what I had written. That's why they hired me. And I was absolutely flattered. "Someone thinks I can write???? And they want to pay me to do it every day????"

I can still hardly believe it. I am very excited about the career change.

And this allows me to segue into why 2007 needs to be about "ME" again.

In 2007, not only will I be starting a new career... I will also be turning 30 this year. Or as I like to call it "The New 20." And I believe that when you hit a milestone birthday, the celebration should last all year.

So, I am just letting you all know out there... 2007 is about "me." I will be easing up on the fast-paced lifestyle and relaxing more. And with that declaration, I give you all my New Year's Resolutions...

1. No long work hours. If something can't get done in 40 to 45 hours in the office, then it doesn't need to get done by me.
2. No giving clients my AIM screen name. They can just email me.
3. Bring lunch to work most days. I'm on this whole kick lately of getting all the nutrients I need for each day. And surprisingly, the best sources to help make sure you are getting your daily minerals and vitamins is by adding an apple, carrots, chocolate pudding and potatoes to your food intake. The best way to do that is to pack your own lunch.
4. Go to yoga four times a week. I've done the 30 day challenge. I know I can go day-after-day. And one of the most appealing things about my new job is it's location to the Bikram yoga studio. And, also, with my new declaration of "no long work hours," I should have no problem finding the time to go.
5. Only two cups of coffee a day allowed. No more living on coffee.
6. Water plants every week. I have killed many plants. The ones I currently have are surviving. Hopefully I will be able to remember to water them in the new year.
7. No more "Felicity" DVDs from Netflix. (But, you should know, I am already into the 4th season of the show in my rental queue. So this one will get done by "default.")
8. Less anger. Less spewing venom with my acid tongue.
9. Continue to focus on more personal writing.
10. Spend more time with friends.
11. Call mum every week.

Comments

Popular Posts