"Why Don't You..."

So much time spent on international flights has given me access to quite the repetitive - and in some cases, unique - library of movies. 

On my last international flight (from Sydney to LAX) I watched five films over 13 hours:
  • The Pelican Brief (a classic)
  • Ginger & Rosa (one I had read about and wanted to see for a few months)
  • Prisoners (lots of "WTF?" moments in that one)
  • Blue Jasmine (love)
  • Thor 2 (why'd they even bother?)


Most of these films were available on other flights I took in earlier weeks. And some of them (Blue Jasmine) were "repeat watches" for me. There was one film (a documentary), though, that got watched so much on a flight that it has now become part of my own personal digital library.




I have a thing for documentary films lately. Especially ones involving the editorial side of the fashion industry. I love learning about the lives and creative process of the people who have worked and led this industry. I could care less about the models and the designers themselves - with a few exceptions. But the people who create art and content around how we decorate and style ourselves?

I'M OBSESSED!

This is my favorite of these documentaries. Though a few others have been added to my collection, including:

The September Issue: A classic. And easily the most popular. It follows the staff at Vogue, led by Anna Wintour, as they put together the annual infamous September issue of the magazine. The star of this film, though, is Grace Coddington, the Creative Director. I once passed her on the street in Chelsea a few years ago. I was silently "SQUEEING" as she passed by, with her flame-red frizzy hair.

The Editor's Eye: Also covers Vogue. Only this time it covers the editors of the magazine who have had an impact in it's 120 years of existence.

Bill Cunningham New York: A long overdue look at the eccentric life of the man who has influenced not only many New York Times readers, but peers in his industry. A humble man. An observant man. A man who love bicycles. He leads a simple life, but creates a rich view of the world for others.

Scatter My Ashes At Bergdorf's: It's a lovely though... If you've ever been to Bergdorf's, you may agree. It's an intimidating store. And filled with so many gorgeous things. And this documentary celebrates the 111th anniversary of the store.

But my favorite is definitely the story of Mrs. Vreeland. One of my favorite things to do while traveling is wake-up, order coffee and fruit from room service, and watch it.


I know. It's a dreamy life right now. I fully recognize this habit can't last. But I'm living in the moment and enjoying each second.

And this philosophy resonates with something Mrs. Vreeland initially did when she entered the fashion editorial world:

"Why Don't You..."

It was a monthly column she did in Harper's Bazaar where she let her imagination run wild, providing readers with some of the most absurd and unique suggestions. In fact, I think someone should bring it back. It would be excellent in helping inspire imaginations to run more freely.

So when it comes to taking all this time off from my career, and spending mornings being lazy while drinking coffee and watching documentaries... I'm more than okay with it.

Why Don't You... spend a good chunk of your mornings drinking coffee and watching documentaries about topics you love too?

As Mrs. Vreeland says...

"There's only one really good life. And that's the life you know that you want and you make it yourself."

Comments

Popular Posts