Podcast Queue: Natalie's Take On Dealing With Cancer.

Oh gosh.. I know... I post a lot lately on Facebook - which is now bleeding over to my blog - about Jason Havey's Spinning Logic podcast. But really, this one is good one.

I promise.

I became friends with Natalie Buster - I believe - in the Spring of 2010. I was doing a Bikram 101 day challenge. And she was - I believe - doing a 60-day challenge... Or had just finished one. She was doing her challenge up in the Bronx portion of New York City. I was doing mine up in Toronto.

We met - I believe - because of the Bikram 101 blog that I did.

Anyway... I've enjoyed being Natalie's Facebook friend for nearly six years now. She posts fun stuff on her blog... And she's been an inspiration to track on her journeys from NYC to Madison to (now) the San Francisco Bay Area.  And then everything that she's been through this year with her health.

Earlier this year, after I had friended Jason Havey through a Blue Morpho private Facebook group, he reached out to me and said...

"So I saw that Natalie Buster commented on one of your posts. I went to High School with her! It is a small world, but the chance that we would have a non-Blue Morpho mutual friend is incredibly small. I'm no math major, but based on our number of friends it is something like a 0.0000017% chance. Like cosmically tiny. Crazy."

Crazy, indeed, Mister Havey. And not the first time something like this has happened to me in the past two years.

Anyway... Earlier this week, Jason interviewed the inspiring Natalie on the podcast.



The conversation flowed into many areas about her life - which were fascinating - but also into her cancer diagnosis from this year. Natalie is cancer-free right now, which is wonderful. But she made a really brilliant point about health and healing that I connected with because it makes you pause and think about illness in a different way. In fact, a therapeutic and educational way. Rather than a defeating way.

When she was telling the story about how someone had mentioned to her that she had kicked cancer's ass, her reaction wasn't to say, "YEAH! I KICKED IT"S ASS!" Her reaction was coming from a place of respect and curiosity for the body and what happens in it.

"You know... That cancer's apart of me... This is probably a strange way to react to it... But I'm really impressed with this cancer.  It's a force to be reckoned with... It is a worthy adversary... So I don't want to kick it's ass.  I want to understand it. I want to grow from it. (If it comes back) I want to find a way to work with it... It's probably going to do us much more good to try to understand cancer and work with it, as opposed to (the idea) of against it."

Go and listen to the podcast. It provides a good jumping-off point for a discussion to have with your body and self about what's happening within you physically.  And mentally.

Comments

Popular Posts