A "Muse"-ing Meditation.

Lucky girl I am... Not only did I receive a tone of boxes fro Amazon and a (no longer a mystery) wine glass this week... But I also received one of these...




A friend sent it to me as a way to see how it impacts meditation results.  

"I think it could help with your mission," they said.

"The mission" they are referring to is the sharing of plant medicine and mind medicine journeys. And the Muse measures how "active" or "calm" my brain is during a meditation session.

The band has sensors which go across your forehead when worn...


It's just like wearing a pair of glasses, only know lenses. The ends tuck behind my ears, and the sensors are touching my forehead.

When I open the app, it starts to pick my brain waves...


After it asks me to think of a few things in list form (it'll ask me, for instance, "Think of colors"), it is calibrated to my brain's active flow... And can then measure when I am "actively thinking" and when I am "calm."

I've done two sessions with it so far. Here are the results captured on it...


You use headphones to hear the meditation scenario's sounds. The first one I did was a beach scenario. Then I did a desert scenario.  The calmer you are, you will hear birds chirping in the distance. Across the 12 minutes I've done so far, I've heard 27 birds.  But my brain has mostly been active. I averaged about 40% "calm." Meaning: I still have a lot to learn in order to be meditating with a quiet mind.

I am going to play with it a little more before my trip to Peru in January. I actually want to wear it during the ayahuasca ceremonies. Obviously I wouldn't be listening to the sounds from the app... But rather the icaros sing by the shamans in ceremony. But I am wondering if there is a way for the app to record my brain activity without having to use the scenarios.

So far, though... This thing is awesome. And certainly being used for an excellent cause. Grateful to have received it!

Comments

Popular Posts