I Really Don't Want To Deal With Heathrow Security.

It could have been thee fever and congestion from the flu... And it likely is... But my taste in every sense of the word is suddenly flipped over right now.

Three months ago I was living - as I typically am - in nostalgia. I wanted to head back to Rome and do nothing more than walk for days, drink wine and cappuccinos, and eat food. Specifically on Election Day in the U.S.

George consented to letting you know where she stands on this election.

I wanted to be as far away from the American political scene as possible.

Then, as I sat down Sunday afternoon to begin planning my days out on the trip I realized not only that there wasn't anything I wanted to see and revisit... I didn't even want to do the drinking, eating, and walking.

The idea of the multiple flights to get to Rome, combined with having to layover in fucking Heathrow airport and deal with their security restrictions on liquids in my toiletry bag, combined with trying to enjoy the things I have done multiple times before had me exhausted.

"If I'm gonna do something this exhaustive, can it not involve fucking Heathrow airport?"

London and I have a trying history. In general. It tries me. I bitch slap it. It walks away hurt. And then I feel bad. 

I'm not a fan of London. The rest of England - yes. But London? I won't say what I think about it in exact terms.

Besides, as I thought about where I could go instead, the rest of Europe didn't appeal to me either. Sure, mostly because it would likely involve a Heathrow connection... But I concluded that I just didn't want to travel overseas.

So I tossed around NYC. NYC for election night!

But it would just be for nostalgia if I went there. Same with Boston. I even considered Toronto.

Then it came to me...


So I unbooked my Rome flight and booked myself into first class to DC. And I found a hotel close to the White House with a room available for a few days. 

"Wait, you did what?" a person on my team said to me today as I told them my plans for Rome had changed. 

"You were going to go to Rome to get far away from American politics. Now you're going to be in DC - right in the center of it Election Night?"

I nodded at the camera at their confusion.

"I have many neuro diverse things going on in my brain that I now am able to process in life. In my head, this extreme change of direction makes 100% perfect sense," I said.

They still didn't understand it, but were happy I was still committing to taking a vacation. 

I think it will be fascinating to be in America's capitol when (fingers crossed) we elect our first female president.

And this way, I don't have to deal with fucking Heathrow.

Comments

Popular Posts