Cheap & Free Things To Do In Boston.

I had two requests last week for recommendations and suggestions about what to do in Boston while visiting that is cheap/free to do. I've been so busy, though, that this is the first time I am able to sit down and think about it. (And I think that is due to the fact that this is my last day in Boston, and I am finally done with cleaning and moving everything out of the apartment.)

My favorite time of year in Boston is now. It's warm and sunny. There are so many places to walk. And everyone is in a good mood now that Winter has finally ended. Restaurants have their patio seating available, and there's nothing better than seeing (though typically you hear him first) the ice cream man on the street.

The most important thing to know about Boston is that it is a walking city. You really can walk everywhere. Especially when it is nice out, like now. So here are a few of the areas I recommend walking around; and keep in mind, walking is free:
  • the South End (Tremont, Shawmut and Washington Streets in particular)
  • Newbury Street/Boylston Street
  • Charles Street in Beacon Hill (which will lead you to the Esplanade)
  • the Esplanade
  • the Public Garden (with the ducklings and flowers) & Boston Common
  • the Waterfront near Downtown
  • Faneuil Hall and Quincy Marketplace
  • the North End
In each of these areas, there are vendors and/or shops you can pop in and out of for goodies and treats... Making for a relatively inexpensive afternoon. Though, if you have some extra dough to spend, I also recommend the following:
I think when the weather is nice like this, the best thing to do is just walk around and absorb as much outdoor scenery as you can in Boston. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

That Girl! said…
Because I'd rather put my money to expensive shoes and jeans (hah, kidding, well not really): I'm the queen of cheap and free in the city!

I'm a total nerd and I LOVE the guided tour of the Boston Public Library, you sign up in the lobby of of the old wing. It's free and really interesting. The 2 times I did it, it was a small group and it was all tourists and me. So fun to talk to people who live outside of Boston to get their perspective on the city.

Also, free movies in the summer at the Hatch Shell are always a great way to get outside.

I think the ICA is free Thursday evenings and the MFA is free Wednesday evenings.

I think that the Harvard Film Society also runs free movies (but during the school year :)

Every Sunday from 5-7 is $1 oysters at 28* and it includes a drag show too!

Lectures at the Harvard Kennedy School and BPL are free and they get really fascinating people to speak. I saw bell hooks speak at the BPL and she moved me to tears.

Also now is a good time of the year to tour Fenway...$12.00, cheaper than most ballgame tix :)
Anonymous said…
A nice free walk on the Freedom Trail including a stop inside the old north church and paul reveres house. And as long as you are on Hanover Street, may as well stop by Mike's for a Florentine Cannoli. In the winter, definately skating on Frog Pond.
H!L said…
CAMBRIDGE, YO! harvard and inman in particular [i'm partial to central though i don't know whether or not i'd really consider it to be tourist-friendly...]
Anonymous said…
AM's Boston Tours offers free walking tours of the city covering all the sites of the Freedom Trail plus some additional sites in Beacon Hill and the West End. These tours, which last about 2.5 hours, are supported only by voluntary tips (gratuities). Check them out at http://www.amsbostontours.com

Popular Posts