Toronto Subway System: Why Don't You Smell Like Urine?

It is rainy here in Toronto today. But despite the rain, I decided to walk 20 minutes down to the Eaton Centre.



It is a big-ass shopping mall. It has a ton of stores, including an Apple store where they do not sell the iPhone. (In Canada, you can only buy phones from specific wireless dealers. So while you can go to the Apple store and play with the sample iPhones there, as well as buy iPhone accessories, you have to go to Fido or Rogers Wireless to buy the actual phone.) I walked the mall for an hour or so, and then decided to head back up town to my neighborhood. But I didn't want to walk in the dampness. So I decided to hop on the subway.

I went to a machine and bought a subway token...



(Gosh! It's tiny!)

And then I waited 1 minute for the subway train to show up...



(Damn! These screens are very useful!)

It was a quick trip back to my hood, and there were a few things I noticed about the subway here...
  • There appears to be a lack of graffiti and tagging. I saw absolutely none anywhere in the subway station or in the train itself.
  • The trains themselves were very, very clean. No trash on was on the floor. The seats were nice to sit on too. No ripped fabric.
  • People actually let passengers off the train first before they attempt to get on themselves.
  • Panhandlers were absent. I saw none in the train or the station.
  • There was no urine smell.
A subway train that doesn't smell like urine? Is this a magical subway system?

Comments

Duffy Pratt said…
It's either a sign of a much more polite group of people, or a police state. Maybe both.
Anonymous said…
I'm so jealous! If only Boston could take some notes from Toronto. I fear taking the red line every day. Today there was a crazy man screaming obscenities at everyone. Last week, thousands of people were trapped underground. Ugh!

Popular Posts