Bikram Yoga Challenge: Day 10/60.

Only 50 more classes to get through.

Only... Fifty...

Tonight's class was challenging in a way that I hadn't experienced before in my practice. First, it wasn't very hot. The temperature seemed to hover around 38 to 39 degrees Celsius. That is just over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Which, for a Bikram class, is cold. And it is distracting when you are used to it feeling much hotter.

But I could get over that. What I couldn't get over, though? The long-held postures!

Oh... My... God... I thought Pranayama breathing would NEVER end. And when we got done with the first set, my shoulders aching... The teacher prompted us to move into Half-Moon. But we stopped her, to our own detriment. And every posture felt really long. Awkward was a nightmare. Standing-Head-to-Knee - I was useless in this pose. Even SAVASANA felt too long. The only pose that felt good to hold a long time, for me, was Camel.

But I am a Camel whore.

Despite it being a tough class, I appreciated it. Not every teacher is the same... Even of the poses always are. So the challenge was, ultimately, a good thing.

Comments

thedancingj said…
Look, you are already 1/6th of the way through! Piece of cake!! Hehe.

It's always AMAZING to me when a teacher holds all the postures for what feels like an HOUR and then still ends in 90 minutes. How do they do that? Timing is a bit of a mystery to me from this side of the podium.

Once again, good prep for TT and the 2 hour classes! I swear Bikram holds head to knee for 2 minutes instead of 30 sec. Feels that way at least. He's just talking and talking and finally I'm like, "ok the posture has GOT to be over by now" and I give up and then I see that half the room is still in head to knee... with their head on their knee... and then I'm like SHIT and I try to get back in... hahaha, such good times.
Me said…
Exactly! The variety of teachers I am getting here in Toronto is amazing (just like Boston)... Perfect prep for TT.

Popular Posts