"It's Not That Kind Of Yoga."

I am sure I will learn much more about the various types of yoga when I am Bikram Yoga Teacher Training... But I love the reactions that I get from people when I tell them, "I am taking a leave from my job to go study Bikram yoga for nine weeks."

People seem to be under this impression that it will be like "Eat, Pray, Love", when Elizabeth Gilbert goes to India to stay at her guru's ashram. They think it will be about "finding inner peace," "contemplating my purpose," and "meditating about sunshine and the universe."

Sure, a person may get these things out of their Bikram practice if they come to class or go to teacher training. But this ain't that kind of yoga.

I would describe Bikram yoga as a "Kick your ass, destroy your ego, sweat so much you no longer have to pee, want to punch someone for getting in your face and telling you to get your ass down in a pose" kind of yoga.

Sure, it has it's serene parts. But Bikram yoga is a true fight against your mind. We don't chant. We don't "visualize" or even close our eyes. The temperature is "beyond eff-ing hell hot", your mat is stacked right next to someone else's - who inevitably flings sweat on you, and you do the same 26 postures and two breathing exercises every single time you come to class - in the same exact order.

Bikram yoga is a science. It heals your body. And if you are lucky, it helps heal your mind.

So, no, I don't plan to "find myself" while I am at Bikram Yoga Teacher Training. Part of the reason I am going is because I have already discovered something wonderful about me - my desire to educate others in how to heal their bodies themselves.

I am sure I will discover things about myself while I am there. For example, I expect to crack mentally within the first three weeks... After we've spent long hours in poses, with a huge loss in appetite, and after we've been sleep deprived for days. But the faster you break, the faster you can heal.

Remember that, people.

So, no, I won't be, as one of my husband's friends put it, "come back to Toronto and decide money is evil and I want to move to a commune and live in near poverty."

Bikram doesn't preach this. Shit, the industry calls this "the McDonald's of Yoga" for a reason. Bikram makes good and well-deserved money from what he has created. Bikram yoga teaches us that we can fix ourselves, be happy and wealthy (whether that be monetarily or in some other way).

So when you are all sitting at your jobs, drinking your Pumpkin Spice Lattes, spending Fall holidays with your families and enjoying the new seasons of Glee and 30 Rock... Please know that I am likely on a mat, getting my ass kicked in a very hot room.

There is nothing serene about this yoga.

Comments

Arielle said…
I've never done Bikram (I haven't actually done any yoga in about 5 years, never really got into it) but this actually makes me want to try it. I'm totally not into the spiritual chanting whatever stuff, but an ass-kicking no-nonsense workout I can get into.
Me said…
Oh Arielle! Yes! I am exactly like you... Or I was. I never liked the chanting yoga either. And then I tried Bikram. And it is a WORKOUT! And because of Nbikram, I actually developed an appreciation for all types of yoga.
Unknown said…
You're lucky you live in a town with so many studios! There is only one in my small city.. And when I talk about Bikram to others they either think I'm: 1-Making it up, 2-Nutso, or 3-Addicted to crazy exercises.
And I usually experience the wanting to punch someone in the face weekly and the "not having to pee anymore" experience daily. :)
bikramarian said…
I keep having to explain to others that this isn't the soothing calm candles burning yoga they think of when "yoga" comes to mind. It's strict and there is no touchy feely hoo hah. I went to a yoga place that was way to lovey-feely after doing Bikram for awhile and wanted to run out screaming. (We were asked to hug our neighbors, sing along with the music, tell our neighbors one good thing about ourselves, etc. etc. Horrible).

Some people are not familiar with the fact that Bikram lives in Beverly Hills, drives around a fancy car, and "money" is actually part of the dialogue. No chance anyone is going to go live in a commune in poverty after teacher training.
thedancingj said…
Yeah, I always laughed my ass off when I told people I was going to a 9 week yoga training and they said, "That sounds relaxing!" Ha, ha, ha.
bikramyogachick said…
Oh how I adore this post! You are so right. It's not that kind of yoga. The "sitting cross legged staring at your navel and chanting" kind of yoga. Your description about :"sweating so much you no longer have to pee" pretty much sums it up.
I'm so excited for you! Your journey is inspiring! I hope to make it to TT someday, but in the meantime, I will live vicariously via your blog posts about it. :)
Unknown said…
What an excellent post! I totally agree. Good luck in your training. I'm sure it's going to kick people's butts - in the best way, of course.
Liz said…
LOVE THIS POST. Now get the fuck down!!!!! ( ;
Me said…
HAHAHA! Thanks Lizzy.
Gerryb said…
Hi Heather;
I'm a 50 year old man who was told about Bikram and how wonderful it is. I have to admit I'm a little terrified to try it. I had a heart attack two years ago and double bypass surgery with a mechanical mitro valveput in me. I also have a chronic lower back pain and hutchy shoulders. I just think this is just to much for me. I could never do those postures and I fear of hurting myself. Is there any comforting words you can give me to try this?
Me said…
Hi Gerry...

You can absolutely try Bikram yoga!

I chose Bikram yoga because the poses involved no balancing on my hands... As I have weak wrists.

And, I had very bad lower back pain... But Bikram yoga was perfect for strengthening it.

In Bikram yoga, we do the same 26 poses every class. And we hold each pose for 30 to 60 seconds. Your heart rate does go up... And the heat really warms up your muscles so you get a fantastic stretch.

I have seen all types of people with various health conditions come in and try Bikram yoga. The important thing to remember when you do Bikram, yoga is to breathe.

Breathe and stay in the room. And you will be doing yoga. Even if you have to sit out the postures.

You're not expected to do the pose to the 100% depth... As long as you listen to the teacher and go into the pose the correct way, you will receive the full benefits.

So, for example, in one of the spine-strengthening poses we do... If you can only bring your chest 1 inch off the floor, you are receiving all the benefits, provided you are doing it correctly.

I would say check with your doctor and give Bikram yoga a try. You will feel so worked over and relaxed after your first class.

Popular Posts