Luminary Antagonists.

Lighting schemes... They matter.

I can trace some of my least happy moments to the use of terrible lighting. 

And there is no room for disagreement on this: overhead lighting is terrible. 

I don't care if it comes from an insanely jeweled chandelier... If it is from above, it's bad news.

Overhead lighting is for when you are having work done in some capacity to your body. 

A workout.

A medical treatment.

A beauty treatment.

No... the only options for lighting in your house - even in the kitchen - are:

  • Lamps and other task lighting
  • Candles
  • Natural light

Recently I began obsessing over having the same manufacturer of smart bulbs on the 16 lamps I have throughout the house. I wanted them all synced across the manufacturer app and the Alexa app. 

It's so lovely having them turn on together with the same glow in the evenings.


It's the "cozy" vibe setting. And this is an unfiltered view of what it looks like come 5:30pm in my sitting room.

It's my "wind-down" setting. 

Approximately 12 hours later, my morning scheme comes on... 



And I sit at my writing desk or on the couch, drinking coffee.

I even get woken up by the lighting in my bedroom.

And also Fifty-Cent's "In Da Club" blaring from my iPhone.

I pad my feet in my LL Bean slippers, and putter to the kitchen to grab my coffee where the kitchen lamp is already on for the morning...



And am reminded how much I hate that kitchen backsplash. 

I think another kitchen remodel - walls and backsplash at least - will be happening later this year.

But I love the light from the little lamp. And I never, ever, ever, turn on the overhead light in the kitchen.

Overhead lighting is the villain.

Comments

Popular Posts