The Problems With Local Hot Yoga Studios.

There is a shortage of 26 & 2 hot yoga teachers where I live. The ones, like myself, who teach the Bikram style of yoga.

There are a number of hot yoga studios in the area. They all offer forms of hot yoga, hot pilates, vinyasa, sculpt classes. and more.

The problem is... It seems that all of these studios decided "Let's offer the 26&2 sequence all at the same exact time, and only offer a few classes each week. That way students who want to practice this sequence have limited times they can take the class a d have to choose which studio at which to do it."

Most yoga studio owners... Not all... But most, are not exactly the most business savvy.

I decided to stop practicing at one studio where I taught a few months back because I was the only certified Bikram style teacher who taught the sequence. I never deviated with the postures - like some teachers do - which students find annoying as fuck. 

My issue with teaching at this studio was that the only times they really offered this sequence was in early morning. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays Saturday, Sunday.

All of those classes were lucky if they would get 6 students in them each.

But it made practicing this sequence - which is the only one I practice -  impossible.

The 6am classes during the week weren't practical because I start work at 8am each day. 

The 7am on Saturdays... I was the one teaching it. So that means not practicing. It also meant I was up at 5am to get to the studio at 6am so that I could get it warmed up enough for class.

And the 7am on Sundays... I wouldn't go to those because I needed one day a week where I wasn't working and could sleep in past 7am.

But other studios... Their 26 & 2 classes are pretty much at the same time during the week. Which is insane.

Business opportunity for them: Offer the 26 & 2 classes at different times - later in the day. Many students who practice this sequence will studio-hop to get in a class. You could end up bringing in a lot of new students.

Here is an ideal schedule where I think a studio locally could get at least 10 students on average in each class...


Anyway... The one exception to the problem with finding ideal times to practice this sequence was a studio on the far northwest side of the city where the majority of the classes they offer are 26 & 2 classes.

It's 8 miles from me... But it's where I now practice and teach. I am able to get in two to three classes a week. 

I teach on average one class a week, and have on average 10 or more students in the class.

The only thing I would change about this studio is that I wish it was closer to me. I would practice every single day if I had less than 10 minutes to drive there.

The other challenge with a lot of yoga studios is they simply do not advertise. At all. They miss opportunities to have a steady stream of new students coming in because they don't try to reach them. For less than $50 a week, they could probably be bringing in more students. At least a few. through digital advertising.

And I know what you likely are wondering... "If you know so much... Why don't you just open your own studio?"

I've thought about it. But I dislike not having freedom. Owning a studio is too much of a commitment for me. 

I just like having opinions from a distance.

Comments

Popular Posts