Healthy Dish For The Weak: Roasted Spicy Fall Veggie Soup.

I am sick.

Wait... I should really try to capture that statement for you much better.

So, imagine me with scraggly wavy hair all a mess... In an oversized black sweater and leggings... Tissues surrounding me... The ugliest fuzzy socks on my feet... No make-up... Sniffing and hacking every few minutes... Throat sore... Looking miserable.

Got that?

Well, then imagine me whining to you, "I'm siiicccckkkk."

I don't get sick often. And when I go, I am usually a very good sport about it. I don't expect anyone to jump in and take care of me. But lately - for reasons not revealed yet - I feel a little license to be able to whine about being sick. It's what I said to myself earlier today. I gave myself a few minutes to wallow in the sickness, then decided I needed to nourish my body.

A few people offered to bring me chicken soup. But the only kind of chicken soup I like is the kind I make myself... Mostly from scratch. And I wasn't in the mood for chicken soup.

"I want roasted root veggies," I said to myself. "Extra spicy. And garlicky."

So an extensive search on the Internet turned up... Nothing. Not a damn thing.

Sure, lots of roasted veggie soups. But none involving the right combination of root veggies I wanted.  So I decided to just make one myself.

And it kicks ass, as I am slurping it down as I write this post.



Ingredients:

  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 8 medium sized carrots
  • 4 cups of butternut squash, peeled and cubed to 1-inch pieces
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 2 bulbs of garlic
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 cups of chicken or veggie stock (Depending on if you want this vegan.)
  • Sea salt
  • Pepper
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • Parsley (If you feel the need for a garnish.)


Tools Needed:

  • Roasting Pan or Cookie Sheet
  • Foil
  • Food Mill or Blender
  • Large Pot


Directions:
Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

After peeling and cutting all the root veggies (squash, carrots, sweet potatoes) down into 1-inch cubes, toss in a bowl with the EVOO. Slice the onion into 1/2 inch slices, and toss into the bowl too. Sprinkle sea salt (maybe a teaspoon) and black pepper (1/2 teaspoon) in the bowl. Toss, then spread into the roasting pan. Sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the top - as much as you want. (I did a lot, because I like things spicy.)

Meanwhile, take the two bulbs of garlic and slice the top of the bulb (the pointy end) off of each. Wrap the bottom of each bulb in aluminum foil, so that the cut side of the bulb is facing up. Rub EVOO on top of the cut areas.

Place the roasting pan in the oven. Also place the aluminum-wrapped bulbs in the oven, cut-side facing up. (They can go in the oven right on the rack.)  Let everything roast for about an hour, till things take on a nice dark roasted coloring. (Your kitchen will smell amazing. Like I imagine Channing Tatum does at Christmas time.)

After things have roasted, pull out of the oven and let cool down for about 20 minutes.




Food Mill Option:

  1. Fit the food mill with the blade with the smallest holes. Place over a large bowl. 
  2. Take small portions of all the roasted veggies and garlic, and put them in the bowl of the food mill.
  3. Pour a cup of the chicken stock over the veggies, and begin to turn the food mill. (You will need to lift the food mill up and scrape the bottom holes where the puree comes out every few minutes. Things get clogged.) 
  4. Once you have gotten all of the veggies pureed through the mill, dump everything into a large pot on the stove. Pour the rest of the stock in, if you haven't already gotten it in while running things through the mill. 
  5. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes over a low flame, till warmed through.
  6. Garnish and serve. 


Blender Option:

  1. Take small portions of all the roasted veggies and garlic, and put them in a bowl.
  2. Pour a cup of the chicken stock and a cup of the veggies into the blender. Puree on high. Pour into the large pot.
  3. Repeat this step till you've gotten all of the veggies pureed.
  4. Pour the rest of the stock in, if you haven't already gotten it in while running things through the blender. 
  5. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes over a low flame, till warmed through.
  6. Garnish and serve. 

The soup has a spicy kick to it. And should be thick. And very awesome.


Comments

Rebecca Raye said…
Reasons not yet revealed ... one idea comes to mind there ;-)
Me said…
LOL! Yeah.. I'm pretty sure it's NOT what you think, hon. If what you're think is that I am pregnant. I can tell you that would be incorrect (as I sip this lovely glass of Pinot noir).
Rebecca Raye said…
Yes, I figured that out rather quickly! Enjoy your travels ... now I'm wondering about the "newly single' reference ...
Me said…
It means "divorced."
Rebecca Raye said…
Well, I've been there. Even in a "good" divorce, there is stress. Hope yours is minimal.

Popular Posts