Packing For Antarctica: Carry-On!

Ha!

So many people said it couldn't be done. So, so many. But I laugh in their negative frown-y faces now.

I was able to get everything I need for Antarctica...





Into compression sacks...


Which fit into my current carry-on suitcase...


In the backpack (which still has plenty of room, by the way) are my laptop, iPad, Kindle Paperwhite, chargers, headphones, camera and iPhone. And a water bottle. And my toiletries.

my plan is to go to the REI store this week at some point and but a carry-on duffle bag. I need something a little more rugged for a few of my upcoming trips. I'm also going to pick up another set of compression sacks to take, just in case either of my current ones break.

You may be wondering, "What about a proper coat and boots?" The expedition tour company I am going with gives us a parka to use and keep for the trip. And they loan us the proper footwear for when we're on land.

In case you were wondering what is in my suitcase, here you go:

  • 5 pairs of leggings
  • 1 pair of ski pants
  • two pairs of jeans
  • 5 sweaters
  • 1 pair of lululemon yoga pants
  • 2 sports bra
  • 2 regular bras
  • a ton of underwear (about 15 pairs)
  • 5 thermal tees
  • 1 fleece
  • 4 wool sweaters
  • 1 wool dress (to wear for New Year's Eve on the boat)
  • 1 pair of tights
  • 5 tank tops
  • 1 workout tee
  • 1 paid of workout shoes
  • 2 pairs of gloves
  • 2 hats
  • 1 pair of sunglasses

On the plane ride down to Argentina (where the boat docks) I'll be wearing a hoodie, yoga pants and another tee and sports bra. We have laundry available to us on the boat.

I'm pumped! About 24 days till I leave for the trip!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hydroflask FTW.
Natalie said…
Carry-on is the only way to travel. I'm convinced of this. Have a great trip!
Rebecca Raye said…
What are your favorite leggings? I'm in need and trying to decide on a brand.
Me said…
I like American Apparel and J. Crew.
Lynn said…
I found this blog by googling Antarctica with a carryon. I'm doing the same thing! In fact we may be on the same trip...Ocean Diamond?
Me said…
Hi Lynn!!! How funny. Yes! Ocean Diamond. Leaving December 28th/29th???
Lynn said…
Yes! I'm doing the Mountaineering and Camping options. Are you doing any of those? I'm traveling solo and got a good deal on a single cabin. I guess I'll see you on board! I'm getting to Ushuaia one day early and I have to stay in BA both ways...the flights just didn't work out otherwise.
Sorry about the duplicate comments. Stupid work computer!
Me said…
YAY! I am traveling solo too. I am doing the camping. I didn't sign up for the mountaineering stuff because I lack experience on those things. I wanted to kayak, but I just don't have enough experience doing that... So I had to 86 that. I leave Boston on the 27th and arrive in BA on the 28th. I go directly to the other airport to fly south.
Lynn said…
I like to kayak but I decided not to do that. I bought a new carry-on today. I'm inspired by you and am stuffing everything in! See you on the ship!!!
Me said…
Yay! See you on the ship in a few weeks!!!

Popular Posts