World Tour: Snow Flurries, Icelandic Viking Stout & Mexican Food.

With the darkness settling in so early, by 4:30pm I was ready for a drink. I didn't see any wine bars nearby - and probably for good reason. The part of town I was in was mostly about coffee shops and pubs.  So having spent part of the afternoon in a coffee shop, I opted to grab a drink at a pub.

The bartender tried to convince me to drink a local pale ale - which I sampled. It was okay. I spotted a stout, which is exactly up my alley.


Yum! Dark. Perfect for drinking while watching the snow fall down...


After I was sufficiently buzzed from my one pint (about an hour later), I walked back up the main drag to a restaurant I had passed earlier in the afternoon. It was a Mexican joint. And it had awesome Mexican wrestling posters on the wall...


"Wait," one friend said to me when I was messaging them about my day's adventures. "You went all the way to Iceland and had Mexican food for dinner?"

You bet I did!

"Why not?" I wrote to them. "I wanted to see how they interpreted Mexican food in Iceland. It can't be any worse than how it was interpreted at the first 'Mexican' place I ate at in Toronto."

(I'm still trying to strike that experience of my brain.)

The menu at this place was very limited. Just four things on it...


I went with the tostadas. And they were quite good...



Simple. Clean. Very pretty. Nice food styling. Very spicy.

But what was not good was the margarita...


Looks pretty. But was overpowering in the "sweet" department.  It tasted as if there was no tequila in it at all! I took two sips and then dismissed it from the experience. But the food was very good.

As was all of the decor...


An awesome find!  I love the details.

This was a great to wind down my first day in Iceland.

Comments

Popular Posts