It's Almost Autumn... So I Can Make Granola.

I don't understand why... But for me, granola is very much a "Fall" thing. Seasonal. Like the Pumpkin Spice Lattes I love, but have learned not to go so near in the past two years. 



I started making granola over seven years ago, and have done it so much that I know how to play with various recipes and improvise. Which is what I did this morning.

While getting coffee at Peet's and momentarily contemplating a pumpkin latte from their menu, I thought about other "Fall" things that I learned to appreciate and experience living in the Northeast for 14 years. 

Apple picking...  Beautiful foliage that I never grew tired of photographing... Crisp air that signaled it was time to start rocking the "blazer and scarf with boots" look... The Red Sox (sometimes) in the playoffs...  And granola.

I realized that without being intentional, I had on hand everything I needed in order to make some! 

"I'll make some and bring it to Phoenix this weekend," I decided. Because when I make granola, I make too much. So it needs to be spread around.


Today's recipe included:

  • 3 cups of old fashioned (gluten free) oats
  • 1 cup of slivered almonds (but you could do sliced)
  • 1 cup of chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup of honey (but I could have used maple syrup)
  • 3 tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp of salt (I used pink Himalayan from Trader Joe's because I am particular about salt)
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract 
  • Coconut chips


First, I mixed the nuts, oats, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar together.


I used a bowl from a very vintage Corelle design of the late 1970s...


Classic!

In a separate bowl, I mixed the honey, vanilla, and oil with a whisk...


I drizzled this on to the dry mixture and folded together. Then it on a sheet...


And into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes!

I then took it out, stirred the ingredients around to get the uncooked oats on the top. Then it went back into the oven for another 10 minutes.

I pulled it out to allow it to cool for an hour.  I then put my coconut chips on a separate sheet, and toasted those for five minutes, and pulled those out to cool.


After everything had cooled, I mixed it all together... And I had my granola!


YUM!

Easy. And not too crazy on the calories. Though I used this as a topping on oatmeal, yogurt, ice cream... I never eat a whole bowl of granola at once.

And I had a lovely breakfast treat to enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts