Free eMail Choices... No contest.

Seven years ago, when I graduated from university I had to give up my school email address and find a new one. I thought about my choices at the time; which included Hotmail and Yahoo. I decided to get an email address at all three. I think this was because I was just so excited about the idea of having a choice, I got greedy. But that was okay, this was 1999 after all. Greed was everywhere.

Well, a 6-7 years later, I no longer use any of those email addresses. Gone completely are all the Hotmail accounts. I still have the Yahoo email address, but I rarely check it. It's mostly just spam that goes there.

My email system of choice is Gmail, Google's free email system.



About two years ago, Google rolled out their free email system. It was (and still is) by invite only. Not just anyone can sign up for it because it is still in "Beta," like most Google products. I like using Gmail because there are so many cool features in it that you don't get with the other email offerings... Including the "chat" feature where you can "IM" with other people who are logged into their Gmail accounts. There's also (naturally) a search feature within Gmail that allows you to look for specific messages easily by typing into the "white box" and hitting "Enter." One of the best things about Gmail though is the storage space you get. It's huge! I've had my Gmail account for nearly two years now, and I am only using 1% of my storage space.

If you're interested in getting a Gmail account, leave a comment for me. I have about 98 invites to shell out.

Comments

Popular Posts