Maybe All I Needed Was A B12 Shot?

I have been in a fog for the past few years. A fog that has gotten foggier since moving to Toronto.

Toronto is a great city. I won't pretend otherwise. But lately I have been feeling like I want to move back to Boston or NYC. I left each of those cities to follow my husband for his career. And that hasn't really sat well in the back of my mind.

My husband is a lovely person. And he would never move anywhere I didn't agree to. And I agreed to move both times I did. And each time I have moved (first Boston, now Toronto), I have made a life in the city.

But still, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head that kept saying, "There's no reason you should have to uproot your life. You should get to call the shots. Why are you following someone else?"

I am the kind of person who leaches energy from her surroundings. If it is a place I want to be, I am filled with energy and passion. NYC was my choice. Boston was actually my choice too. But Toronto? Not as much.

I've said it before... I don't know that Toronto is the place for me long-term. But I am making a life here for now. And to get me out of the foggy feeling I have been having, I started seeing a naturopathic doctor for acupuncture each week.

Anxiety... Mental fogginess... Lack of energy... Always tired... My body is in a depression. One no amount of yoga had been able to help. I was happy... But my body and my mind would play funny games on me. This past week's acupuncture appointment demonstrated exactly how "out of it" I was...

"How has your week been?" my doctor asked me.

I stared at her for a few seconds.

"I can't remember what I have done this week," I said. "I've been to work. And I went to yoga. But I can't remember what all I did yesterday."

She laughed. I lied down, and she began putting needles into me.

"Oh!" I said out loud suddenly. "I was just (something secret) an hour ago! Can't believe I forgot that!"

She laughed, and said "That's a big deal!" Clearly, I had a lot on my mind if I had forgotten something so significant.

"This reminds me," I said to her. "How much vitamin B12 should I be getting?"

A few weeks earlier she had been stressing the importance of vitamins to me. In particular, she had said B12 would be essential in helping boost my energy. But I wasn't sure exactly how much I should be getting. And I hate swallowing pills. So unless it comes in the Flinstones chewable vitamin, I may not be getting what I need.

She suggested I start getting a B12 shot. At least for the next few weeks, as I am probably very deficient.

At the end of the session, she gave me the shot. I am one person who is not afraid of needles. Pills, yes. Needles, no.

"You'll probably feel a quick boost of energy in the next few minutes," she said.

She was right. As soon as I left the office, I had a lot more energy. Way more energy than I should have, considering I just had acupuncture.

The next morning, instead of my usual 20 minutes of "snoozing" after my alarm goes off, I got right up out of bed. And now, three days later, I feel more focused.

Maybe the fog has lifted?

Comments

fashionninja said…
I'm so glad that helped you. My little sister has been feeling the same way. I'll suggest this as a possibility.
Chrissy D. said…
I'm in a mental fog all the time too. I'm hoping Teacher Training snaps me out of it. Haven't attributed it to Toronto, but very likely that it's the culprit.

Where does one get a B12 shot? Very intrigued about this.

Thanks for the post.
Me said…
Chrissy, I think you can get them from most naturopathic doctors. But, you can also order them online and jab yourself.

If you aren't comfortable giving yourself shots, you could take a multivitamin with B12 in it. The body doesn't absorb pill forms of B12 as well as it does the shot... But it is a start.
It's sounds like maybe it's a mind over matter thing? Or maybe it really works. I know you have said here before that you are/ were depressed.

Have you considered talking to someone, I don't think you should have to go around feeling like that, at this stage of your life. I can't imagine what it would feel like not to have enjoyment out of every day, and I feel badly that you are in such a funk.

Sending positive thoughts your way, I hope this works for you.
Me said…
Yeah.. I don't do the therapy thing. I'm not that kind of "depressed." I'm not 'sad" or "crying." It's more my body is depressed. I lack energy. I am sleepy. And I just can't focus.

I'm not really a "touchy-feely-let's-talk-about-my-problems" kind of person. Especially because I don't actually have any problems. My life is good. I recognize that. Seems like my body does not.

Therapy is for insecure people. People with real problems. Mine is more a physical health thing.
Jenn said…
I have been taking B12 (pills) for the last 10 months. If I miss a day, I can definitely tell the difference. I lack energy, I get tired earlier than usual and I sleep later the next day.

Hopefully a bit of B12 is all you need to get you out of that fog!

Popular Posts