I'm A Teacher!

Ugh.

I know. I haven't written much lately. My first week back in Toronto has been incredibly busy. I haven't even had a chance to do up my summary video blog from the last week of teacher training. But I will early this week. I promise. And in the mean time, I can tell you all about the first class I taught this past week... On Thursday morning.

I was assigned the 6:30am class to teach on Thursday. I showed up about 6am. My studio director was there and gave me the tour of how things work. She also informed me of all the perks of being a teacher (no paying for classes and I get to use a mat for free!)... And she also showed me how to sign everyone in.

This was all the easy stuff. And I was very nervous about going in and teaching the class itself. But she assured me she had faith in me and that I could do it.

I started class about two minutes late, just to give students enough time to get into the room. (People arrive just before the class starts, first thing in the morning.) I walked in, pushed the light dimmers up and said...

"Good morning everyone! My name is The Missus. I am your yoga teacher."


No one was new, so I quickly demonstrated Pranayama breathing. And then got them going. I evidently rushed them through both sets of Pranayama, because I was done with that at the 8-minute mark... Which is where you should be, but only IF you started the class exactly on time. I was two minutes late starting. So I actually got them through both sets of breathing in 6 minutes.

"At least we are on time," I thought to myself. I then went into the rest of the Standing Series, with dialogue... But not verbatim and not in the exact order of words. I did, however, say every posture in Sanskrit as well as the English version. And got them on the floor at about 48 minutes into class.

Not bad.

Because I knew I was ahead of schedule, I did give NICE, LONG Savasanas in between each of the poses. And I only mixed up the whole "right ear on the towel, look to the left/left ear on the towel, look to the right" bit a few times. Class ended two minutes before it was scheduled to, which was a great thing and largely due to the fact that I was wearing a wrist watch as I taught.

At the end of class, I said, "You've worked your body 90 minutes just so you can take advantage of this final Savasana. Please stay for a few minutes. If anyone is American, Happy Thanksgiving. I will be outside if you have any questions. Namaste,"

And I was DONE! Yay!

My studio director came out a minute later and assured me I had done well. She said she felt comfortable leaving me there by myself in the future. She only had a few tips for me...
  • Don't rush Pranayama.
  • Change up the dialogue for Eagle. (I said the same exact thing 4 times).
  • Be less "cheerleadery".
  • Don't mix up my "rights and lefts".
  • When I do mix them up, don't say "Sorry".
  • Don't sit on the podium the entire time during the Floor series. Stand up and give energy.
These are all easy things to fix. Class number two is this Thursday, again at 6:30am. It will be followed later that evening with the 8pm class.

Teaching is fun!!

Comments

marzz said…
As a Bikram yogi, I prefer more animated instructors versus those who are monotone, but hate those who are like drill sergeants. I recall one class taught by a first time teacher, and he paced nervously back and forth from the podium to the door throughout the class, which was really annoying. Now, less than a year later, he's one of the best teachers at my studio. I know you will find your voice as you get more classes in. CONGRATULATIONS!
Cara said…
I'm so proud!! Congrtas on your first class.... I wish you lived closer I would die to take your class!!!
AMAZING that you're a teacher already!! Congratulations -- I know Bikram yoga has meant a lot to you for some time, and I'm glad you've taken this step!
bikramyogachick said…
YOU ARE A TEACHER!! Yay! Sounds like you did very well your first class! Congratulations!

Popular Posts