All Is Fair In Love & Cabs.

I sometimes wish I lived closer to the subway.  It would make it easier for me to avoid grabbing a cab to work most mornings.

Cabs in NYC are pretty cheap. On average, it costs me $9, with a tip, to get to work.  I can easily walk out of my apartment to Sixth Avenue, where traffic goes uptown, and hail a cab.

By comparison, I have to walk 10 minutes to the 6 train, and then have to wait about 3 minutes for the train to come. This costs me $2.25.  But can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes door to door. I can walk it in 35 minutes.

Or take a cab.

The only time I run into potential issues with hailing a cab is when I am running late and it is close to 9am.  That is when everyone is out on Sixth Avenue, trying to hail a cab.  All you see is a parade of cabs with their lights dim, already filled with passengers holding lattes.

This is when you have to be aggressive. And sometimes a total "betch."

Make no mistake, I am never mean or verbally rude to people in the "cab fetching" process.  But I am sneaky. I will employ any and all tricks to be spotted first and snag a cab. These can include:


  1. Standing pretty much in the middle of the street (I never stay on the sidewalk), arm proudly extended, hand waving.
  2. Switching sides of the street multiple times at a moment's notice, as I spot cabs coming up on the other side of the street.
  3. If I am on the corner, and I see someone come out on the same side of the street, but further up - and thus more likely to get a cab first - I will trot up the street to be in the better position than them.


I would never take a cab before children, an adult with children, handicapped or disabled adult, elderly person, or pregnant woman.  Everyone else, though, it's fair game to compete with them.

The only time I have had a confrontation in the process is when I employed trick number three.  A gentleman spotted me when he came out stood 10 feet before me. Knowing he saw me, I decided to walk in the street, in front of him, to be closer to the approaching traffic and cabs.

"Hey! I am standing here!" he whined.

"Yeah, I could say the same to you. But I am willing to actually do something about it."

I got a cab before he did.

What I should have said was, "All is fair in love and cabs, dude."

Comments

Popular Posts