Healthy Dish For The Weak: Shaved Brussels Sprouts.

One of the things that kicks the most ass about my NYC neighborhood is its adjacency in Chelsea to Trader Joe's.

Being someone with very little time, having the Joe's on my walk home from the subway in the evenings is super convenient. Even more convenient? The pre-prepped organic veggies they have. Makes getting dinner put together pretty quick.  Oh, and somewhat healthy.

Tonight's dinner: Shaved Brussels Sprouts (courtesy of Joe's) with Mushrooms and Pancetta over Goat Cheese Ravioli. (Funny enough, this recipe was very much inspired by the one ON the bag of shaved Brussels sprouts.)


Ingredients (all of which you can get at Joe's):

  • 1 bag shaved Brussels sprouts 
  • 1 package of sliced white mushrooms
  • 1/4 chopped pancetta
  • 1 package goat cheese & sundried tomato ravioli
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Couple splashes of water



Directions:

  1. Boil water. Dump the ravioli in. Cook for a few minutes, then drain and set aside. (Really, if you don't know how to cook pasta...)
  2. Dump oil in a nice big skillet over medium high heat.
  3. Toss in pancetta. Cook by pushing with a spoon/spatula until golden-y brown-ish. Then take out of the pan. (About 5 minutes.)
  4. Saute mushrooms till they start to get golden-y. (About 5 minutes.)
  5. Toss in the entire bag of shaved Brussels sprouts.  Saute with mushrooms till golden-y. (About 5 minutes.)
  6. Throw in the balsamic vinegar and a few splashes of water from the pasta pot. Let steam and reduce down for about - you guessed it - five minutes.
  7. Scoop over the ravioli.


Serves 2 people. If they really like Brussels sprouts and mushrooms.

Comments

SM said…
I have spent a good portion of my life wanting to love brussel sprouts. Even when paired with beer and cheese I can't stomach them. I've never tried the shaved version. I imagine it would make it easier to stomach the bitterness. In fact, I imagine it would be like adding some Arugula to you salad = it gives it just a little bite. No Trader Joe's in Toronto to pick up a bag (as I am sure you're well aware) but I will be on the look out at Whole Foods. Or I could just dust off my grater.
Thanks for the recipe!
Me said…
Shaved Brussels sprouts really makes them more bearable!

You can use - if you are brave - a mandolin to shave the sprouts.

I am not allowed to use one of those, though. Not since the great mandolin incident of 2009.

Popular Posts