My Band Name: High Density Boobs.

Four years have passed since my last mammogram... Which I am told is fine. 

"If you're good with self exams and visiting annually for your 'well woman' exam, you don't need a mammo annually. You can go five years," I was told by my nurse practitioner.

Yet, as with at least one of my other mammograms from about five years ago... A clear view as to what is going on with my breast tissue evades the technician.

And I end up having to have additional screenings with a much more aggressive approach (meaning, "They shove my boobs one at a time between two plastic plates and flatten them as best they can. And it hurts like hell.")

Yes, I will joke when this has to happen. I have high density boobs.

"Which is my band name. And you can't steal it."

This time, however, the original technician saw some dark shadows.

"Irregularities," she said, "in the left breast."

They booked me a follow up for two weeks out, which would likely include an ultrasound I was told.

Did I have any questions, they asked.

Nope. 

I didn't even bat an eye.

My nurse practitioner followed up with me the next day.

"This happens. Your breast tissue is dense. Do you have any questions?"

Everyone seemed surprised when I would say, "Nope." Or that I didn't seem bothered that my follow up screening wouldn't happen for two weeks.

My logic: If there is something, it's small. And it was noticed in time. I didn't feel it through self exams. My NP didn't feel it in her exam of me. And it is only being picked up by a super squashing of the boobs.

If it is something, it will be treatable.

I guess they're used to people freaking out about having to have a second screening.

I'm more like...


"Yeah... yeah... Mine are perky and dense still at age 47. Go me."

Anyway... The radiologist who did my ultrasound today walked me through what she saw. A bunch of cysts. None that looked worrisome. 

It's normal, she said, to have them pop up as hormones fluctuate.

Anyway... The only thing that needs to happen is that I go back for a follow up mammogram in six months...

To have my high density boobs squashed again.

Comments

Popular Posts