DIY Spa Experiences.

I love spas. If you didn't know this, quite frankly, I am surprised. I have been known to drop a good chunk of my monthly income at Exhale Spa, in a regular basis.

But times have changed. And I began cutting back a few months ago. One reason was because I just don't like spending on disposable things as much in a bad economy. The other reason was to ween myself off such indulgences before I move to Canada. I mean, I may not have a job in Canada. And since I pay for these thing out of my own budget, I won't be able to afford them if I have no job. So it's just better to get used to not having them done professionally as often.

So, instead, I rely on face masks that I apply myself here at home. Fresh has a great selection of masks and treatments, as does Murad. These two manufacturers use organic ingredients, and they also smell very nice: fruity and floraly.

But have you ever created your own spa treatments out of food products in your kitchen, for a DIY spa experience? There was a piece in the NY Times Style section today about at-home spa treatments.

I haven't done this type of thing since about the age of 16, when I would coat my hair in mayonnaise, let it sit for an hour, and then wash it out. It would work too. I had always wanted to try beer as well, but I was not of age and my parents didn't keep beer in the house.

I am willing to try random things with my hair, including coating it in olive oil, which is one treatment from the NY Times article. But when it comes to my skin, I am particular. I would not try any of the treatments they suggest. I know it seems silly... I mean, what bad things could happen from smearing avocado on your face? But I prefer to use real products which have been studied and shown to improve certain conditions - like dryness and acne - than waste a piece of fruit.

I mean, I could make some really killer dishes with the avocado.

Comments

Good post. I'm planning to raid Sephora this weekend because I've cut out my regular mani-pedis and need some DIY tools. Thought you were going to skip the internet today? That's my plan for the next weekday I have off...I'm way too addicted and besides, I really need to give my eyes a rest.
Leah J. said…
Great article! I have an intense desire to go put a face mask on now.

I did the avocado one a month or two ago, and it really did feel great. I had made guacamole and had a leftover avocado. I forgot about it for a few days. Unfortunately, I couldn't eat it, but I smashed it up with some honey and slathered it over my face-- SO nice! I definitely recommend that one.

I've also done ones with just honey and oatmeal, which is a great exfoliator. The honey really smoothes your skin and helps to hydrate it (I think).

As far as I can remember, aspirin has some level of salicylic acid, so it's good for treating oily, acnegenic skin. I'm up for giving it a try!
I'm with you. Keep the mayo on my tuna sandwich and off my face!

Popular Posts