Healthy Dish For The Weak: Steel Cut Oat Muesli.

The cafe at the end of my street is a lovely place. They have a shiny and sophisticated machine for churning out espressos, lattes and cappuccinos. They bake everything in the kitchen there. And they also make other things to pick up on the go; like salads, soups and one of the things I've been intrigued by for years... A soaked Muesli.

I've never actually ordered it to go. It looks delicious. But when I am in the presence of awesome baked goods, or bagels... I will usually indulge. As I don't go to the cafe often. So, when in Rome...

Anyway.

Seeing the Muesli version they make (which appears to be rolled oats, berries, yogurt and milk) made me think about how to make one with steel cut oats. Steel cut oats are less processed and better for you. One of my favorite meals is actually oatmeal. But making steel cut oats is a pain. There is not "instant" version for you to make. And you can allow the oats to soak overnight and then turn on the stove in the morning to reheat them - or toss it in the microwave... But I really, really, really hate microwaves and think they destroy your food. And if I am in a hurry in the morning, I don't want to have to turn on the stove.

In fact, if I can make breakfast without having to turn on a stove all together - AWESOME!

But I like my oatmeal. And the instant kinds are usually loaded with sugar and other bad stuff. So figuring out how to make a Muesli with steel cut oats seemed like a useful idea for me.

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 cup of steel cut oats
  • 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
  • 2 cups of almond milk (unsweetened, unflavored)
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon 
  • 1/2 a cup of the Pumpkin Spice Granola**
  • 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 cup of blueberries



DIRECTIONS

Pour the oats, the chia seeds, cinnamon and the granola into a large bowl. Pour the almond milk in and mix.


Toss the berries into the mixture. Pour into a shallow container with a lid.


Allow the mixture to soak overnight in the refrigerator. Nearly all the liquid will be absorbed.


In the morning, spoon some out into a bowl. Add extra fruit (like bananas) to it.

The recipe above should make enough for one person for five days. So it's a great thing to make for a quick breakfast before work. Or you can pack it into containers and take for lunch or a snack.



**If you don't want to make the granola, add the following to the mixture in step one:

  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds 

Comments

Popular Posts