"Wine Is Not A Diet Food."

One of the things I hadn't realized was that my trainer was certified to give me some nutritional guidance. Most trainers are not. There is specific certification they have to go through on top of their fitness certification to become a trainer. And my trainer is one of the few that has it.

"So," I said, "Does this mean I can ask you about diet and what I need to be eating? And can we use one of my sessions to go over all this stuff?"

He said "absolutely." And mentioned that most of his clients don't want to even talk about nutrition and meals. They just want to train. And training is only part of solution.

"No carbs after 4pm... Have them with breakfast... Veggies are a perfectly fine carb to have any time."

This all started one day when I was watching this other woman in the gym train next to us who has an incredibly well-defined set of abs.

"How do I get those?" I asked him. I practice yoga and do core exercises... But plenty of yoga teachers have "soft" bodies. Or un-defined muscles in the core area, despite being strong there.

"It's all about diet," he said. "It is ALL about diet. No carbs after 4pm. And by that, I mean no bread or anything refined. If you eat that stuff at all, do it at breakfast. You can eat veggie carbs anytime."

So he asked me to keep a food journal for a week, and that we would sit down and go over where my opportunities lie.

The idea made me cringe... Because my eating habits are not ideal. They look like this (despite knowing that I should not eat this way):


  • 8am - Breakfast: Latte
  • 12:30pm-ish - Lunch: DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY EAT LUNCH? HOW EUROPEAN!
  • 3pm - Snack: Latte (SOMEONE'S GOTTA KEEP STARBUCKS IN BUSINESS!)
  • 8pm - Dinner: Huge plate of pasta and a glass of wine.


I knew before I showed him it that this is not way to live. But forcing me to actually think about what I am going to eat before I eat it? Ugh... I am someone who is driven by mood when it comes to food. But if I want to not only look as strong as I feel/am, I need to feed my body and not my emotions. And what I learned from him is that my emotions thrive on adrenaline.

"A latte is not a snack."

What's that mean?

Not eating until late in the day... I'm operating purely off of adrenaline, rather than actual sustenance. "A latte is not a snack," he said when he saw my breakfast habits. He mandated that I start each day with either oatmeal or eggs. And that I make sure to eat throughout the day.

"It's about quality grazing," he said. "You need to stabilize your eating pattern right away."

It will be a cold day in the hottest pits of hell... before I let... cottage cheese pass through these lips.

Given all of this, here is what he thinks my day should look like...

6am - Breakfast: Plain oatmeal (not the kind made by Quaker, which has sugar) with a little bit of granola. Alternatively, can sprinkle protein powder on it for some extra protein. I am thinking possibly of adding peanut butter to it.

9am - Snack: Almonds

12pm - Lunch: Eggs and greens, or chicken with greens. Also add a little bit of berries on the side.

2:30pm - Snack: Yogurt, plain. Add fruit.

4pm - Snack: Juice (fresh, and made by me)

7:30pm - Dinner: Chicken and veggie

9:30pm - Snack: Cherry Juice

He tried to convince me to eat cottage cheese. But it will be a cold day in the hottest pits of hell with Lucifer in a fur coat before I let something called "cottage cheese" pass my lips. I find it creepy.

We didn't even discuss a "cheat day" each week. I don't want to play around with that idea just yet. My goal is to just focus on eating this way for the next 60 days. Then I can think about adding a "cheat day" in each week.

But of course, I had to ask him about wine. As a whole, a bottle of wine only contains about 600 calories in it. And it's made of grapes.



"Wine is not (detox) diet food," he said. "It's sugar. The fermentation process changes it. No daily glass."

(Sad face.)

Comments

dietas said…
WooooW! I like it! thanks

Popular Posts