Pumpkin Spice Granola.

As soon as Labor Day passes, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes become available at Starbucks, I consider it to be Fall. Sure, it's still a little bit warm here in Boston right now... But the temps are starting to wind down a little. And by this time next month, I'll need a blazer or hoodie on each time I leave the house.

CRISP!

I love Fall in New England. It's the best place to experience the season in the world, as far as I am concerned. And to get me feeling more "Fall-like", I made a batch of granola to kick off the season.

I do that every year - make granola. But in previous years, my recipe tends to have dried fruit in it. This time, I did something completely different and added some spices to it... Cinnamon and Pumpkin Pie Spice.



While baking it, the apartment smelled amazing. And the taste is perfectly Autumn.

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 cups of oats (I prefer Bob's Gluten Free)
  • 1 cup of coconut flakes (Bob's makes these too - different from shredded coconut)
  • 1 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1 cup of hulled sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup of raw pecans
  • 1 cup of slivered almonds
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup (ideally from Vermont)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used organic coconut sugar instead of the real stuff)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp salt


DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Mix the EVOO, maple syrup, brown sugar, spices and salt into a small bowl. Whisk it together really well.
  3. In a large bowl, toss in all of the other ingredients. No need to mix just yet.
  4. Drizzle the wet ingredients on the dry ones.
  5. Fold all the ingredients together till everything is mixed and coated well.
  6. Spread onto a baking sheet (if you want, use parchment paper to line it - but I did not) evenly.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes, then pull out of the oven and toss the mixture around. This allows all of the ingredients to get evenly baked.
  8. Repeat last step twice.


Total baking time should be about 45 minutes. When you take it out of the oven the final time, give it a good toss with the spatula. Then allow to cool in the pan for about an hour. After that, pack it in containers.

It's snack time!


Comments

Popular Posts