Driving When It Rains In San Diego.

I welcome rain in San Diego.

It's rare. Incredibly rare. So when it happens, I welcome it. But this week, it's been the bane of my existence.

I started a new job this week. One that has me driving 25 minutes on the freeway. The first day - Monday - it wasn't bad at all. Both going to and coming from work.

But then Tuesday hit.  And oh Sweet Baby Jesus on Christmas Morning... People here freak the hell out!

The drive to work wasn't bad.  It took me 35 minutes. But the drive home - when it had started to (seriously) drizzle?

 It took me 90 minutes to get home.

NINETY MINUTES!

And 45 minutes of that was just me trying to get from my office to the freeway, which is six miles.

GAH!

Then... Today. Well today, the fear of driving in the rain got super epic!

It took me 45 minutes to get to work. Again, not bad. Not bad. I can take that. But after work was the real issue... And it wasn't even raining!!!

It was what I would call "misting."

I left the office 15 minutes later than I would have liked. And again, it took me nearly 40 minutes just to get to the freeway. Then getting ON the freeway took me another 20 minutes.

The real delight came when I was actually ON the freeway. Inching onto it... I kept seeing the numbers on the GPS map also inching... UPWARDS. By the time I got a mile down the road, I still had 50 minutes left till I reached downtown San Diego - where I was headed for an event.

Eventually - circumstance made it critical that I get off the freeway, and head back north to Encinitas... Packing in the plan to go downtown.

How long did it take me to navigate back north, via the Coast Highway?

THIRTY MINUTES ONLY!

That's because the highway - which runs along the coast line - was EMPTY. No one was on it.

I am grateful that it very rarely rains. I can put up with the ridiculous driving in rain and the long commute on a very rare occasion. And it should clear up tomorrow.

But seriously... People here need to find their balls when it rains and they have to drive.

At one point this morning, as I was driving in, the person in front of me was allowing about five car lengths between them and the car in front of them. I eventually navigated around them and got in front of them. I saw them keep the same distance between me and them.

It's annoying. It wasn't even raining!

Comments

Elisa said…
Yeah, people suck driving in the rain.
That said, you may just be experiencing San Diego traffic in general. There are occasionally good days, when it *should* take 25 minutes and does, but North County is notoriously bad for traffic :-(

Popular Posts