2014: The Year Of The Nomad.

It's been a busy December.

A good December. But incredibly busy.

I started off the year not even on land... But rather in the sea off of Antarctica, toasting the Midnight Sun as the new year rang into existence.

It was amazing. And symbolic of how I would be spending most of the year: unsettled and exploring the world around me.

As I wrap up 2014, I am just now settling into life here in California - having unpacked all of the boxes in my new house.

When I look back at this nomadic year, there are many highlights for me. I did look at Facebook's year in review feature that they auto-populated for people... But I chose not to post mine because it was a bit of a joke. Almost NONE of my travel adventures were actually featured, which is insane.

I mean... If I had to choose what my year's top highlights were, they would include the following:

Camping out in a sleeping bag on Antarctica.


Multiple visits to the Amazon jungle for the ayahuasca experiences.  And right from the get-go, that first ayahuasca experience was amazing.


Having my own private villa - complete with swimming pool - near the Monkey Forest in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.


Cage diving with sharks...



...and touring the Winelands in Cape Town, South Africa.


Discovering the beauty of Gaudi's impact in Barcelona... Especially the chakratic interiors of La Sagrada Familia.


Pretty much everything about Bordeaux... But that lunch we made where we went through TEN BOTTLES OF WINE!


Discovering an excellent (but hidden) coffee shop across the bridge from the old part of Istanbul.


That long-ass but gorgeous hike from Fira to Oia in Santorini...


And getting my long-anticipated second tattoo.



Oh... And the Santorini Sunsets...


And wrapping it up by hitting the Eternal City (Roma) with my sister...  And all of the awesome food we got to eat while there... Including our new favorite cocktail - the Apperol Spritz.



And these were just all of my travel adventures.  There were other non-travel highlights too... The biggest being the move to Encinitas (San Diego), and buying my Gypsy Bungalow.  But the Year of the Nomad is coming to a close. And I have to give some thoughts to what I want 2015 to be about.

Comments

Popular Posts