Before & After: Recreating A Master Sanctuary.

I walked into the former owner's open house for my place and knew I would make an offer.

"Great light. Beautiful. But I'm going to change it all."

And I did.

When walking into the master bedroom, I saw so many things that wouldn't work for me...


The ceiling fan. The carpet. The blinds. The wall color. Even the texture of the ceiling.


The size of the room and its light was great. Perfect. The sun rises on this side of the house... Which meant a natural alarm clock, if I wanted.

But the layout of the room wasn't working for me. Nor were the massive mirrored closet doors to the mini walk-in space.

And once in the closet, I couldn't get behind the shelving layout...


Carpeted floor in there.  And not enough space to really move around in it.

And also off of the bedroom was the Jack & Jill bathroom...


It had a doorway that led to the walkway from the hallway. This was the only bathroom upstairs.

I loathed the vessel sink and cabinet. And the sliding doors on the shower... I just didn't get it. I'm a big fan of curtains. Less commitment and more flexibility in changing up the ambiance of a room.

My contractor was great with listening to what I wanted, and helping layout a new design of the master suite.

We decided to turn two large closets between the other two upstairs bedrooms into a bathroom, which meant I could close this bathroom off, and incorporate the walkway space into it. 

I was adamant about having a deeper bathtub in the space, as well as a double sink.  And shelves... I needed built-in shelves.  

"And I'd like to be able to walk into the closet from the bathroom, not the bedroom," I told him. 

So he made it happen.

Six months later, I am settling into my hours, and enjoying the redo of my master suite... Which is now a completely private sanctuary for me.


The wall color is Benjamin Moore's Evening Sky. It's a deep inky purple/navy. Many people wondered if it would be too dark for the space. But with the light that comes in, I think it is perfect... And not too feminine of a color.

My bedroom set fits nicely in the space...


With a bed that's never perfectly made and lots of pillows. Oh, and a blackout shade on the window.

The bathroom I am most proud of in the space... 


Much more room than before... And much more spa-like to allow for relaxation. 

We tiled subway tiles all the way around in the shower, and up the walls to the ceiling. There is a double rod on the shower, which holds FOUR shower curtains... One liner and three decorative curtains to create a framed look.

The runner on the floor is from Crate and Barrel. The wall color is Benjamin Moore's Blue Heather.


I had a custom-made vanity with a concrete counter top put into the space. And side-by-side large medicine cabinets from Restoration Hardware.

And I do love my bathroom art.


Girly, yes. And I also put my framed photo of Grace Kelly staring at her engagement ring from the Prince of Monaco in the bathroom...


A little whimsy in this space... Between the art and the wall color.

The carpenter who did the cabinets also made my built-in shelves...



As well as my walk-in closet.


A much better layout! Plenty of rack space (too much for me, personally)...


But it's high quality shelves ad everything is lacquered white.

And I was able to get all of my scarves on hooks on one side of the wall...


A space that is much more "me." It's light. It's got color. It's got great energy.

Its easy to relax in this space.

Comments

B. said…
I LOVE love love your wall color in the bedroom! I never would have thought it would work, but it certainly does. I'm a big fan of Benjamin Moore paints, as a New England girl, I'm all about the historical line of colors, but that wall color is rich and fantastic. Great choice!

Popular Posts