Renovation: Professional Photos Of The Collective Space.

The contractor emailed me the photos his photographer took a few weeks back of the house. I love how they turned out, despite not having really cleaned the house or had a chance to properly style it for a shoot. 

I'm really pleased with the whole remodel. I know I've shared pictures of areas in bits and pieces.  But here is the majority of the space, all finished. 

The entry way area...


I took one of the benches from my reclaimed wood dining table and added it as a seating area/area to throw all my crap when I walk in the door. The wood from the bench (pine) the stairs (cherry oak) and the floors (white oak) all play well with each other. The lacquered white stair banisters, and the walls (Benjamin Moore's White Dove) lighten the space up beautifully. It's clean, but not clinical and sterile.

Besides throwing my crap on the bench right when I walk in, the other thing I typically do is run into the powder room to pee...


The marble sink (I am told) was a bitch to install. It was very heavy. But the finished look of the deep inky purple color and the floors and sink is gorgeous. I get compliments on it from people when they visit. On the wall is a three-piece vintage map on canvas that I bought online. 

Looking into the house from the front door, the white walls frame the Dior Gray (also by Benjamin Moore) on the walls throughout the rest of the living space downstairs.


I had loved this color since about 2008-ish. But every time I showed it to people (my ex... some friends), they would comment that it was "too dark."

"Why would you want such a dark color?" they'd ask.

Um... BECAUSE IT IS GORGEOUS!?!?!

With the right light, the color is stunning on the walls. Do not be afraid of dark colors, people. The worst that can happen is that you have to paint it lighter. But dark colors can be gorgeous and actually lighten the look of a room up, in my experience.

Nothing in my home is really "matchy-matchy" anymore. There are no "sets" of anything. Everything is individual pieces. I love the idea of bringing things together that you're unsure of how they will work side-by-side.


The sign above the mirror was purchased online.  And you can't see it... But the lamp on the table is actually hiding a bone tile missing from the bottom left corner of the mirror's pattern.

Nothing is ever perfectly made. But you can make it play together to create perfection.

And my little reading corner...


That Eames chair. Adore.  I can watch TV from it. Or enjoy the sunshine while I write from it.

There is much more light coming into the space than before the renovation...


The custom-built shelves where the wine fridge is were initially a space where a very old built-in cabinet lived. And it was big. And made the space feel "closed-off."

But the space is quite open now...


The table with the mixture of Eames moulded chairs... And a collection of rustic pieces (mirror, shelves, light fixture) from various stores.

Finally, a nice open space to store my china and stemware and collection of decanters.


And, of course, my wine.

The biggest change downstairs, though, is the kitchen.


Custom Shaker-style cabinets... Shelves for books... A farm sink...


The only thing I am bummed about is that I wasn't able to put in a gas stove. Only electric in this area. But I've been using electric stoves for a few years now, so I am used to it.

So much light comes into the room now, with some of the cabinet layout removed. And my blackboard wall...


Part of a very crisp look in the space. And it is getting used.


Light and airy. Clean. Warm. As a kitchen should be.

Another view of the stairs...


Heading up to the bedrooms and office.

My office...


Tons of time has been spent writing on that sofa, and watching TV.

And clearly, the blackboard wall is getting some use...


Next door is the guest room...


Another grey color. But a very comfy bed, I am told by my visitors.


We had to eliminate two ridiculously over-wised and poorly-planned closets from both the office and the guest room to create this...


Hard to believe this space was originally two closets! Now it is a full bathroom, complete with a tub! This decision alone MASSIVELY jumped the value of my home. Sure, it was expensive to create it, but well worth it.  And everyone loves the Star Wars theme it subtly has in it.

And it allows me to have a truly private master suite...


Dark walls. I know. But great light. So why not?

So much space. And my art fits perfectly on the walls...


The framed Hermes silk scarves, both acquired in 2011... Back when I wore such things.

And where those frames are resting on the floating shelves...


That used to be the entrance to the closet.

But not anymore.

You have to go into the bathroom to get to the closet...


The closet I always wanted.

Always.

I had a dressing room in the Toronto house.  But it was with dreary dark shelves, which The Husband wouldn't allow me to have painted white or redone.

But it's a beautiful and private space...


But I did make space for a double sink and double medicine cabinets... Plus custom cabinets and concrete countertops. 

The whole space just works better. There isn't a part of this house that doesn't feel inviting.

Even as I walk down the stairs...


To head out.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love it! Thanks for sharing.
Amie said…
This is amazing! You have a great vision and it pulls together so well. Really, wow.
Beautiful flooring and color. Well done.

Popular Posts