Rethinking "Neutrals."

Decorating can be a non-stop process.  We've had our Toronto house for over two years, and we are not even close to being complete with what we want to do in it. But with the NYC apartment, I am far more determined to get a "complete" feeling.

Because I pretty much bought everything for the apartment at West Elm, and on a West Elm account that I opened, they rewarded me with about $500 of their "Design Dollars."

SCORE!

I wasn't even expecting these. So when they showed up, it was an amazing treat!



I decided to take my treat back to the store this weekend to find something on which to use them.  What I found were mostly pillows, which I needed for my very bare living room couch.

I originally wanted a bright yellow or orange pillow.  Preferably in a silk of some kind.

But I wasn't in love with the fabrics they had at West Elm. So when I saw the Gilded Grasscloth and the Snow Lynx ones, I fell in love.




I think natural-looking materials and animal prints are great neutrals.  For the most part, they mix well with pretty much any color.


And to be honest, you aren't likely to ever see me where animal prints, as I just can't pull them off stylishly.

It goes back to the idea of carrying a Louis Vuitton, Coach or Gucci logo bag... I just ain't polished enough to look sophisticated with it. I look way too "juvy."

But in my home? I can totally make it work!

I will note that The Husband (who is likely to read this at some point today, whilst he works very hard researching some things for work) will not like my choice of "neutrals." He prefers grey, black, white and beige. He will proclaim my neutrals "too girlie."

But guess what, dude?

I'M A GIRL!

Well, technically, I am a 34-year-old woman.  And part of 51% of the population. GIRLIE IS THE NORM!

And animal prints and natural elements are indeed great "neutrals."

Comments

Popular Posts