Rules For Making Your First Time (Watching The Notebook) Special.

Hard as it is to believe... I have never in my life, ever, seen the movie The Notebook.

(Pause for all my girl and gay guy friends who wail out with their pity and horror with me.)

I don't know. I like chick flicks. But sometimes, when I watch the trailers for them before they come out in theaters, I sense myself pulling detaching from the appeal that most girls (and gay men) have for them.

I guess I just can only handle the sweet and sappy love stories if there is a general consensus that they're to be made fun of... Like with the Twilight series.  I love those! Because it's GOD AWFUL writing. But it is a love story, written by a Mormon woman.  And it's filled with sap. But it's awesome to watch (and read) because it doesn't try to be remotely real (beyond the fact that it's a vampire/werewolf story, and those things don't exist).

(I mean... I assume most chicks know that a fellow like Edward doesn't exist.  And though someone with Jacob's personality probably exists... Would you really want to date Edward or Jacob in real life?  They're stalkers! And obsessed! But I digress...)

I never watched The Notebook.  I think I may have rented it circa 2006... But never actually watched it. And when I told two friends this last night at a party, their mouths dropped.

"WHAT!?!?!" screamed one.

"What's WRONG with you?" another wanted to know.

I explained my aversion to the film, and the genre.  But they insisted that I see it. And they took it another step...  By offering suggestions around how I should "make it special for my first time" watching it.

Rules for Making Your "First Time" Special:

  • It must be a cloudy day.  Preferably Sunday. And it is even better if it is raining.
  • You must wear lounge-y pants, comfy t-shirt, sweatshirt and fuzzy socks.
  • Pull hair back.
  • If you wear contacts, take them out. Put your glasses on.
  • Have snacks of the "comfort kind." You know... Like popcorn. And mac-n-cheese. (Their recommendations.)
  • Essential to have a full stock of Kleenex.
  • Sit on the couch, have a blanket to wrap yourself in tightly.


I don't know... This list is pretty high maintenance. If all this is recommended in order to enjoy the movie and be prepared for the emotional roller coaster it seems to be, I may never watch it.

If someone could guarantee that I will get to see Ryan Gosling's abs in it... Or something like that... I would be far more motivated to try and watch it.

Comments

Unknown said…
I don't generally rush to pick out a romance movie when I get the chance, but I love The Notebook. True, I am a romantic, and I love a good love story, so maybe I am wire to love it . . . Nonetheless, of all the romantic movies out there, this is far and away, my favorite. It keeps me hopeful.
And yes, it's been a while since I watched it last, but I believe you will see Ryan Gosling's abs. :-)
That Girl! said…
Maybe it's because I'm gay, but I hated the Notebook. Like really really really hated it.
Me said…
I have a feeling that I will probably hate it too. I think I am missing that sappy chick chip that most women are born with.
Soxy Lady said…
I also hated the Notebook. I mean it passes some time on a rainy weekend afternoon, but that's about it.
Kayleigh said…
Oh my goodness, I LOVE The Notebook, and I am really not a romance movie person.

The first time I saw it I had gotten a free ticket to a screening, none of my friends were available to go with me, so I ended up going alone. I was feeling a little sorry for myself for being at the movies alone and then they handed out pocket packs of kleenex on the way in. I was a very easy target!

I think the only requirement to enjoy it is that you be in a sentimental mood. I've caught it on tv when I was out sick from work and feeling a little congested/ mentally slow/ vulnerable from having the flu. It's schmaltzy, but it's good quality schmaltz. And Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams have some very believable chemistry. Way hotter than Robert Pattinson.

Oh, now I want to go watch it again!
SylviaG. said…
I think it´s fine, but nothing extraordinary, for me. Go watch Blue Valentine: it´s not necessarily a "happy" movie, but it´s layered, deep and has Ryan Gosling in it.
Cara said…
The notebook is worth seeing once, because there is some half neked ryan in it! I also LOVED blue valentine. More an indy vibe and feel to it!

Popular Posts