Getting my ass kicked in the league!

I never thought I'd be one of those geeky people who would be completely mesmerized by their participation in a fantasy league. But since fantasy leagues first began at the dawn of the new millennium, a whole crop of various types of leagues have grown. There are fantasy leagues for everything... Football, Hockey, Baseball, Curling, Celebrities... etc.

I'm not really a fan of sports though. (When I first starting dating my husband, I had told him I was into sports.... But that was just to get on his good side. Once he was hooked on me, I let that facade down.) I really can't stand watching sports. Especially when there are so many better ways to pass the time.

Well, about five months ago I was online and discovered a fantasy league that really appealed to me: The Fantasy Fashion League. And I am completely addicted to the thing!

In a fantasy fashion league, the players are a range of designers, celebrities, celebrity designers, shoe designers, handbag designers and jewelry designers. All stuff I LOVE to read about both on and off line. So naturally, this would be something I really enjoy. And, therefore, you would think I'd be very good at it. WRONG!

At the start of my league, I chose what I thought were really high-end designers and very fashionable celebrities. However, the way you earn points is by the press your picks get key publications. And in the beginning, the crappy designers (like Juicy Couture and Tommy Hilfiger) were getting lots of press. But my picks (Marc Jacobs, Manolo Blahnik, Oscar de la Renta, Sarah Jessica Parker, etc...) were getting very little press. And I was dead last in my league.

That's when I realized I needed to be more strategic. I couldn't just sit back and rely on my picks to pay off. I needed to do some trading. After monitoring press and keeping track of awards and events (where celebrities are always photo-graphed in their designer duds) I was able to work some trades that have bumped me up to third place in my league of six. SWEET!

Hopefully, with the Academy Awards coming up next month, I will be able to see some more growth.

Right now, my picks include:

Celebrities - Gwyneth Paltrow, Salma Hayek, Angelina Jolie
Designers - Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Narcisco Rodriguez
Celebrity Designer - Eve/FETISH
Shoe Designer - Manolo Blahnik
Handbag Designer - Hermes
Jewelry Designer - Neil Lane

I will be trading away Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek after next week. Hoping to pick up Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron. But both of those celebrities are owned by someone else. :(

Comments

Popular Posts