Public Transportation.

The most delightful thing happened today.

As I got up this morning, I dreaded the day that was just beginning. I was not looking forward to the day because today was the day where I had to travel outside of Boston to another part of the area to work for part of the day at a sister company. In order to get to this sister company, I have to rely on Boston's "efficient" public transportation system.

In case you didn't know, Boston's public transportation is usually complete crap. (Of course, when you move here from a NYC - where the public transportation is wonderful when there isn't a strike - any city probably pales in comparison.) Seriously though, Boston's subway system is set up in a funky and mostly useless way.

In order to get to the sister company from my house in the South End, I have to take a bus to a subway to shuttle bus. Usually, the trip takes me an hour and a half. Mostly because there's a lot of standing around and waiting for the first bus. Then there's all the stops on the bus route. Then I have to wait for the subway. And sometimes I have to wait for a few trains to go by before I can squeeze on one. Once I'm on the train, it usually stops between stations for uknown reasons for minutes at a time. Finally, I get off at Harvard Square and have to stop at the fine establishment known as Peets Tea & Coffee to get a small non-fat cappucinno to revive my energy level. Once I wait though the line and get the coffee, I walk another five minutes to the shuttle bus. Even though the shuttle bus is supposed to run every 20 minutes, it usually only runs once every 35 minutes. After a quick ride of 15 minutes, I arrive at my destination off the Charles River.

That is how it is on a typical day trying to get out there.

Today, however, was a glorious day. It only took me 45 minutes, door to door. As soon as I stepped out of my apartment, the bus showed up. There were only a few people on it. It drove straight to the subway station with no stops. Once I got to the subway station, the train was there waiting. I hopped on and had a smooth ride to Harvard Square. No one was in line at Peets Coffee. And the shuttle was ready to leave as soon as I walked up to it.

Even though today was a great day commuting outside the city via public transportation, you couldn't pay me a huge salary to regularly do it. I'm sorry. I'm a snob. If you live in the city (which is the only place worth living in this state) you need to work in the city. There isn't enough time in the day to spend more than 40-45 minutes getting to work.

Comments

Popular Posts