Owl Totem?

As witnessed by the previous post, yes, I am freaked by owls after the owl attack of last month.

But a Twitter pal, Ryan, sent me a link this evening to a post about an Owl as a totem.

TOTEM:
A natural object or animal believed by a particular society to have spiritual significance and adopted by it as an emblem.

As I was reading through the article he sent, I asked him, "Does this mean I am going to die soon? It's talking about transitions!"

He said, "No." But that it was more about using the spirit of the animal and what it represents to guide you in life. He was implying that the owl was my totem animal.

From the post:
Think for a moment what your life would be like if you were able to jettison anything that did not speak to you on a Soul level. What would remain? What then would you "hunt" because it provided for you on all levels? That is what Owl medicine teaches us to do. We find that as we begin to move through the process of what we truly want, clearing the old to make way for the new birth of the Self that is close at hand, we find that other obstacles, limitations, fears and anxieties also begin to "die" in our lives. 
How do I begin to understand what does and does not speak to me on a soul level? What does that even mean? How do you identify it?

The article, and a few off-shoot posts I found, talk about how owls see that which is hidden. Other things that were written:

  • Owl is honest and sees directly into our heart and soul.
  • Owl is the wise one, the feared one, and the honest one.
  • Some tribes see Owl as a symbol of danger and is deeply feared.
  • Owl people are not usually cruel people, they are genuinely compassionate, and they care deeply for those she reads.

Well that all sounds mostly lovely. And my friend Ryan was trying to point out that maybe the owl wasn't so much as "attacking me" as it was trying to "wake me up."

Looking back on the incident, it should be noted that the owl did scrape at my Crown chakra. But it could be argued that he just didn't like the hat I was wearing.

Which is a shame... Because I love that hat. It came from my favorite store. And it actually looked cute on me - which hats never do.

Comments

Popular Posts