Bikram 101 Rules... Part Deux.

I finally got myself to a Bikram class this evening. It kicked my ass and left me dizzy and dehydrated. But you know what?

I kicked out in Standing-Head-to-Knee AND dropped my forehead to my knee.

So, "suck on it dehydration and dizziness!"

Now, for the actual purpose of my quick post...

I had a chance to chat with the studio director/owner where I practice here in Toronto. First, they will be open and offering ONE class (a noon) on New Year's Day. I know they also do the same thing Boston on New Year's Day. And I imagine it is the same at most studios. The first of the year is a great day to commit to your practice and set the tone that "this year's Bikram practice is gonna rock."

The second thing I was able to ask her about was the rules for a 101-day challenge.

"No matter what the length of the challenge, the purpose is to go every single day during it," she confirmed. "During the shorter challenges, we allow people to do doubles. But when you start to get into the longer ones, you really should try to get in every day."

I, for one, am trying to plot out any commitments I have in the first three months of the new year. I intend to go once a day for 101 days. But that shouldn't discourage any of you from attempting the 101-day challenge.

Doubles are okay. But only if you have to. Try not to skip a day "just because (you) don't feel like going."

I myself don't feel like doing any of the following, but do it because it is beneficial to me in some way:
  • Listen to The Husband go on-and-on-and-on-and-on about the economy. (It's his job, and I should be supportive and actually listen to his take on things.)
  • Talking to my boss while he has simultaneously the most awesome/most creepy mustache. (He's my boss... He's funny. I like talking to him. And the 'stache is only there for the month of November, to raise charity for Movember.)
  • Eating breakfast. (I'm not a fan of eating early in the morning. But I know it's good for me. I'm more of a "brunch" person... Because it provides a legitimate excuse to sleep in and drink alcohol with your meal.)
  • Not buying the Louboutins I have been craving for months. (I want them. But I don't need them. And I really wouldn't have any place to wear them.)
Also, with regards to the Bikram 101-day challenge... My director said, "Advanced classes do count. But no one should use that as an excuse to not come in the following day."

The advanced classes are longer... And people sometimes do them after a beginning class.

We'll be building a blog complete with the rules and a widget for participants to connect with in the next few weeks.

Get ready to sweat like crazy in the new year!

Comments

Wow, 101 days. That's pretty damn impressive. And a hell of a way to start the new year!
Nichole M said…
As I'm approaching the end of my first 30 day challenge (and first 30 days of Bikram), I am inspired by all you guys who are even contemplating this!

And... way to go on the head to knee! ROCK ON.
thedancingj said…
Woot woot! And I agree. Multiples are accepted, since life happens, but consistency is the goal.

Popular Posts