Dream: A Kitten & A Pelican.

Yawn. Stretch.

I am getting so used to the long sleep-ins lately. Nearly nine hours last night! Makes it easier when The Husband is in the same city, and sleeping next to me. :)

These longs sleeps, however, typically mean a lot of dream activity. And last night's was definitely one of the weirder ones.

I was in a residence. Looked like my current one here in Boston, actually. I was in what looked like my current bedroom, absent of the furniture. I noticed a pelican in the room. And it started to walk towards me. I panicked. And freaked out. I escaped out of the room, shutting the door. 
The I heard a soft "meow." 
So I nudged the door open and peeked inside. I saw a little white kitten who looked exhausted and scared. I picked it up before the pelican could get to him, and shut the door.

Then I woke up.

The analysis...


  • Dreaming of a bedroom represents elements of you that you keep private and hold in from the world.
  • Pelicans represent sacrifice, charity and putting others first.
  • Escaping in a dream typically signifies a positive turn of events.
  • Rescuing something represents an aspect of the self that has been neglected.
  • Kittens represent a transition towards independence.


This all makes sense to me.

Last summer, when I decided to move to Boston, that was the first thing I had really done that was for me and me alone. My intention was to move without a job. To just take some time, find one eventually, but live between Toronto and Boston.

The NYC move the year prior was work-related. I was feeding my ego's need to be in a high position and earning a high salary. But feeding the ego is never a healthy thing. And the reality is that the job I had been doing in Toronto, and the job I took in NYC, were very much about putting something else first as a priority. In these instances, it was my ego's need to feel validated by being badly needed. And what happened when I told my boss, "So sorry. But I've decided to move to Boston"? He offered me the chance to take my job with me and work remotely. As exciting as that was ("They still need me!" I thought), it was not a good thing. But I saw it as a sign that it was what i was supposed to do, because it was being offered.

Earlier this week, I was talking to two people and saying that I tend to give my ideas away to others. I tend to also give away my time and good nature to others. It's time I started using my ideas for myself. And my time. But for a person who is so used to feeling validated by serving others, it's hard to get used to the idea of not doing that.

I am very largely driven by ego. And this dream, I feel, is my subconscious telling me to "knock it off." It's being very aggressive about telling me to knock it off lately because I have been entertaining job opportunities that would land me right back in the spot I was four months ago: In a job where I go all in, sacrificing personal time, energy and the kind spirit of my husband and friends.

And maybe I should get a kitten!

Comments

Popular Posts