"The Yoga Is Bigger Than The Man."

In today's training session, I was explaining to Camp (my trainer) everything that is going on with the Bikram community right now... And how I am conflicted - as are a lot of people - about what exactly to do and feel.

First and foremost, I support the victims with claims against him in this situation. My understanding is that while only three have had their accusations move forward in the form of civil cases, there are more to come. I have personally heard Bikram refer to a woman as "Miss Boobs" at my training session. And he has also made derogatory comments about women and gay people in my presence.

Second, while a good chunk of us who become teachers do not like Bikram personally, we have appreciated what he has built with this style of yoga. It's very healing for the spine especially. And while I am unsure if I ever want to teach again, lately I have been struggling to even go to class.

I know some studios I have practiced at praise the yoga far, far, far above the man. But I'm not sure all studios do. And more importantly, I don't know if all teachers do.

There are teachers I know to avoid wherever I practice. Anyone who teaches and tries to be like Bikram with their demeanor and approach are not teachers for me. I like tough teachers, but ones who educate while they teach... Not just spit out verbatim what Bikram says. You should know this yoga so well, after practicing and teaching for a while, that you know how to bring yourself into it and make it a worthwhile experience for your students.

I've asked a few fellow trainees from my class if they are going back to teacher training in the Fall to be re-certified, as we are supposed to be. The responses have varied...


  • "I'm not. Flat-out no."
  • "You don't need to go back unless you are thinking of opening a studio. Headquarters doesn't audit. And a lot of studios really don't care if you do."
  • "I'm going to invest in training with Tony Sanchez instead. Some studios will accept his training as supplemental to TT." 


(Tony Sanchez was one of the first Bikram teachers. He and Bikram had a falling out. Sanchez pushes the "Ghosh" lineage of yoga, which Bikram's yoga comes from. But Bikram's way is different than the way of his guru - Ghosh.)

As I was telling Camp all of this, he pointed out that the style of yoga was much, much bigger than the man.

"Yes!" I said. "But he hasn't realized that and hasn't evolved with how he builds out his legacy." 

Now I feel myself wanting to favor studios that drop his name and let it be known that they do not support what he is alleged to have done to a number of women, how he articulates his "views" on women and gays in the training process, and how treats studio owners and people who want to teach his yoga.

I will get back to the studio. I know I will. I just have to find a way to get past that block of associating him with my practice.

Comments

SM said…
I am just curious if you have tried Moksha? I have never practiced Bikram, but from what I understand Moksha doesn't have as much structure to it. In Toronto Moksha Yoga Uptown is really great, especially the people. As well, one of my favourite Moksha teachers opened a studio at Yonge and Bloor called iam. I haven't tried it yet, but she was an amazing teacher and she really explored the different ways you could play around with the traditional poses. You always knew you were in for an interesting challenge when you took one of her classes. Anyway, just curious!
Me said…
I actually have. I tried it at my gym (Yorkville Club) in Toronto. Not a fan of it. I should go back and try a second class some place else before I write off completely. And I do know the founders of Moksha were originally Bikram teachers.

The thing I didn't like about the Moksha class I took was the lack (of what I felt) was a build up to the mor difficult postures.

In the Ghosh/Bikram method, the class is built to warm up the spine, then the legs... Then work on balancing... Culminating with the deepest back bend, forward bend, spine twist, compression and pulling right at the end. That's the beauty of the order of the series.

In the Moksha class I took, it systematically made no sense how the teacher was moving us into the posture order. But it could have just been this teacher's style.
Dana Farida said…
amen. i could not agree more. having been in love with the practice for 3 years, dreaming of teacher training, even leaving my job to pursue it, this has been a very challenging time for me. i finished Hell-Bent about two weeks before the big news broke. in those two weeks, i struggled to get myself to class. my studio is one of the great ones, praising the yoga far over the man, but still. the mental battle between loving the yoga (and teachers and studio owners) and supporting Bikram's empire, was too much for me. i deactivated my unlimited membership and joined a gym for the first time since i began my practice. i miss it but i find myself wishing there were other options in my area, instead of longing to go back.

thanks so much for talking about it. guess i needed to get that off my chest.
Simmm said…
Another confused Bikram yogi checking in. Like Dana, I've dreamed of TT for almost 3 years now. It's hard when the big dream doesn't feel right anymore. I find myself wishing for Bikram (the man) to magically disappear and Raj running the ship. Not sure if even they could reverse the mess that Bikram has steered his company into (franchise, a farce of a TT, etc.)

Haven't been able to go to yoga since reading Hell-Bent.
Ramona said…
This is a great post, Heather. Thank you for speaking out. It is a controversial issue and it is nice to hear someone standing firm in their own truth and not making excuses for the bizarre Bikram behaviour. The degrading comments made in his training sessions are not OK and it is time people stop making excuses for him. Good for you, Heather.
Happy said…
I'm reading Benjamin Lorr's Hell-Bent. Have you checked it out? I'm compulsively reading...
Me said…
Oh yes. Ben was in my TT class. Read it last year. Very accurate and good read.
Anonymous said…
I'll also be stopping my yoga practice at my local bikram yoga studio until Bikram and his management step down. I'm a basic practitioner, for the past five years. There isn't a single instructor or studio I know that condones his behaviour, but the fact is that a portion of the money they make goes to him, even if they don't agree with him. And it is that money that enables Bikram to maintain the infrastructure and the platform to bully, abuse, harass his students and worse. So to me, hearing the words, 'But the yoga is awesome' or 'separate the yoga from the man' isn't a good enough reason to justify feeding the beast.

Popular Posts