Must-Have App: Buycott.

Given the community I run around in social network-wise, I tend to be very passionate about understanding where my food comes from these days.

While I love food that I know is bad for me, badly made and addictive... I try to only eat it on very rare occasions. But convenience, man... That will get me every time! It's so easy to run into a corner store after a hot yoga class, or on the way home from work, and pick up some low-calorie but GMO-ridden piece of "food" to quickly go home and make.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible. But not simpler."
- Albert Einstein

This man is one of my heroes. And I had a one point made my eating habits too simple. So simple, in fact, that I either didn't eat or I would eat crap. It wasn't even real food. There are quick things to pick up to eat. But how do I know it's not filled with GMOs or supporting legislation that wants to keep the labeling of GMOs off of products?

Well, "there's an app for that" now.

Buycott is an app that helps you support and buy from brands that support the causes you care about when walking through the grocery store. You select from a number of campaigns (ranging from GMOs, to human rights, to labor, to animal welfare, to LGBTQ equality, etc) they are tracking products against, and when you go to the grocery store (or are in your kitchen and simply curious) you use the app to scan the bar code on the product and it tells you it the product goes against the campaigns you joined or if it is safe to buy.

I tested it on two products I use nearly every day in my kitchen.

Coconut Oil form Whole Foods



Apple Cider Vinegar by Heinz


I scanned each product. And I pretty much knew where the apple cider vinegar would land...



But I wasn't sure about the coconut oil...



Phew! In the clear on that one!

There's been a lot of chat in the yoga community about which is the "best" coconut water out there on the market. For a long time, everyone loved Zico. Including me. Then it was bought by Coca-Cola. And they changed some of the packaging, which changed some of the flavor.

Boo!

Everyone knows glass bottles or the tetra packs are the way to preserve the crisp flavor when not pouring it from a baby coconut directly. I've switched to this brand in the past year...


So I ran it by the Buycott scanner...


Phew!

Comments

SM said…
Since finding out that one of my go-to hummus brands is laden with GMO ingredients, I was not only sorta disappointed in myself but also incredibly frustrated.
Thank you so much for sharing this app. This is exactly what I need. Thank you, thank you!
Meghann said…
I just found out about this app today! So excited to have something that makes it so easy to find out! I'm sure it will take forever to go food shopping for a while but still so happy!

Popular Posts