Bordeaux: A Guided Walking Tour.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not the "cultured" one of my group of friends. I am the "tag-a-long" in most cases. Or "the hermit." (It depends on the type of hijinks that can ensue given a particular activity.)

This is why I am making myself travel alone, for the most part. I am forcing myself to socially get out of my introverted tendencies. (Professionally, I am extroverted. Personally, I am a total hermit. Why do you think I appreciate social media so much?) And when Bail said, "Let's book a guided walking tour," I said, "Yes!"

Obviously.

Bail and I had already walked the main parts of the city many times. So the private tour we booked had us going down the same paths, across the same squares, into the same areas... But this time, we got the history behind things. Which was great. It made me wish we had booked the tour for our first day here, though.

Most of the city was built in the 17th & 18th century. And you can see it clearly in the architecture...


There is an incredible amount of symbolism in everything old in this city. It seems that noting was developed without purpose.

Like this fountain...




Each bronzed statue in the fountain means something. Even the rooster on the column coming out of the fountain. You see this everywhere in this city. They are representative of France.

We also peeked inside a very old church. They call it the "Notre Dame" here in Bordeaux. It was funded by Dominicans, and is stunning.



The architecture and the are is beautiful. Overwhelming in parts, even. Such as this work featuring the virgin from Guadalupe.


The archways of old gates... And the teeny alleyways people still take cars down...


I was in awe of how efficient it seems people live here!

After the long tour, which criss-crossed us through the city and loaded is with so much information, my brain started to hurt... We walked back to our hotel, to the square in front of the opera house.


We went inside for a pre-dinner cocktail. I went with the Vesper Martini.


Classically French! And now, it was time for dinner. A long, exhausting day.

Comments

Happy said…
I am loving your posts, Heather! Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us. You are truly inspiring:).

Popular Posts