Healthy Dish For The Weak: Veggie Quiche.

In Bordeaux, at the wine education class, I found inspiration in a deliciously simple lunch.



A veggie quiche with a simple salad.

Only I didn't eat the crust. I wasn't feeling it. I think that's mostly because I hadn't had much in the way of vegetables for days. I scarfed the salad down first. Then ate the non-crust part of the quiche. It was light and delicious. It had mushrooms and red pepper in it, as well as a little bit of cheese.

"I could easily make this for myself," I said. "Make it at the start of the week, eat it for lunch every day. If I was working, I could even pack it in my lunch."

That's what happens when you travel and get out of your typical routine... You are opened up to the simple new ideas of different cultures. Quiche? It may see simple. But I had never thought about it.

Being here in Boston this week, I figured it was the best time to try out a recipe I'd had tucked in my brains for the past week and a half.


Veggie Quiche

Ingredients:
4 Eggs
1 Cup of Coconut Milk, Unsweetened (Yes, you can use regular milk.)
Half a Pack of Fresh Spinach, Chopped Into Strips
16 Ounces of Button Mushrooms, Chopped
1 Small Yellow Onion, Sliced Thinly
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
4 Ounces of Goat Cheese
1 Teaspoon of Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Drizzle the olive oil in a saute pan, and heat it up on medium high heat. When the oil starts to "sheen", 
put the mushrooms in and let them cook. Stir and toss around after a few minutes, making sure they all get cooked and shrink down a little.

Add in the sliced onions and cook for about a minute, tossing them. Then add in the minced garlic and toss as well.

Dump the spinach on top, and let sit for a few seconds. It will start to wilt. Then remove the pan from the heat, and fold the spinach into the mushroom mixture. Set aside.



Next, take the cup of milk and the four eggs, and whisk together. 



Try to whisk quickly, bringing air into the mixture. They should be pale yellow and bubbly.


Take a pie dish (or any glass dish you want), and - if you must - spray it with non-stick spray. I, however, prefer to use coconut oil, just a teaspoon, and wipe it over the dish. It's a healthy fat! Just make sure to get up the sides and all along the bottom of the dish.


Next, layer in the mushroom mixture. Then, take the goat cheese and portion it out over the mixture.


The last step in the dish is to pour the egg and milk concoction over it.


Put the whole thing in the oven for about an hour, till the top browns.



I served it with "undressed" greens. (Oh! Scandalous!) Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts