Venice: Foodie Sights On San Polo.

Some people know... I've been craving healthy food on this European trip. I've tried more seafood on this trip, and voluntarily eaten more veggies, than in any other short span of time. The food here is so rich and sugary, I am going on a serious juice cleanse for a few days later this week

Which is why, when walking through the streets of Venice, on the San Polo side, I discovered some beautiful things at farmer's market that I couldn't avoid salivating at... 


Seafood. Yep. Fresh fish and cooked shell fish... It all looks so gorgeous.


Even the fish with the large tomato in it's mouth... I'd totally eat that, if it WERE NOT deep-fired in oil.

This farmer's market was just so beautiful, with the sunlight warming things up. I wanted to buy it all.


Asparagus. Huge asparagus!


It's the season - Spring - for this stuff. It's one of my favorite veggies. And these stalks were so large, they could be a meal by themselves.

Okay... I'd poach one egg to serve on top of them. And then eat them all myself.

And heirloom tomatoes!


I've grown fond of tomatoes on this trip. If you serve them to me, I will eat them. They don't taste any different than the ones you can find back home during the season... But they just feel prettier to eat right now. Clearly, I need the lycopene.

They also had piles of my favorite type of tomato...


Sun dried! HEAVEN! If I could, I would bring these back to the states and make pesto!

And I had no idea artichokes came in a deep purple! So beautiful! Even though, I don't like them...


And it is already strawberry season here. Perfect color. No obvious blemishes. None spoiled, that I could see.

All of this fresh food, though, didn't make immune to the appreciation of the sugary stuff. I walked past this little bakery and found plenty to gawk at...



Various cannolis...


Chocolate-dipped candied orange peels...


Crispy, delicate deep fried awesomeness...


And, the one sweet thing I did indulge in...


Gelato! I took to bites of the rich, creamy chocolate-chunk one... And then scraped it off into the trash. Too sweet. The pistachio was excellent, though.

This trip has been one big food coma. Time for a juice cleanse!!

Comments

Popular Posts