The "B" Plan.

I was talking the other day with Adventurous Kate, a former co-worker of mine back in the day, about a potential visit she may be making to the West Coast in a few months. After nearly five years of non-stop travel, she is contemplating a break.

A break!

She said she would take an apartment in a major city, and then AirBnB it out when she was traveling.

"I've thought about that too," I told her. "In fact, my 'Plan B' is to rent my place out and live off of the rental fees."

But where would I go if I didn't live here in paradise?

The first thought I had was to travel continuously, like Kate. But that would be exhausting for me.  And then I had a second thought...

"I'd move to Iquitos (Peru) and study the medicine plants, and write a book."




But this is a passing thought, I think. I'm not ready to give up the everyday life right now. This idea is I'd pursue something like this later on, in a few years.

Though... I wondered whether or not I could handle living in chaotic Iquitos.

The Pros:

  • It's not expensive. The rental fees from my place here would go very, very far in Iquitos. 
  • I'd have close access to studying the medicine plants and to the shamans.
  • It'd be a new adventure...  A new challenge. Living in a foreign country. A different language. Different currency. Different foods.
  • I'd be able to focus on writing. Fewer distractions. Or, rather, not my usual distractions.


The Cons:

  • No access to berries. (One shaman made a comment to me when I was talking about "berries" at the last retreat.. And how he hadn't seen one in months. You just don't see them in Iquitos.)
  • The distance. It's three thousand miles away from family. Slightly more distance than Boston to Phoenix.
  • The language. Though it is easy to get by... But the main language is Spanish. Though this could be a "Pro."
  • Having to move out of my house, and store everything.
And like I said, I really should be a responsible adult and stay put for a few years. 

"Should be."

So clearly, the "Plan A" is to stay put and be a responsible lady.

That alone is an adventure for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Totally get how you renting out the place you own is a Plan B, but I don't quite understand how is renting an apartment and then re-renting it a Plan B? I rent and I guarantee that my landlord would kick me out no questions asked for doing that. It just isn't allowed in most buildings and on the vast majority of leases... and not to defend "the man", but I think that's ok - I live in an allegedly secure building and I would prefer not to have random airbnb people in and out of the building all the time because they don't care about keeping the building secure the same way that people who live here to.
Me said…
Well, I own my place free and clear. So for me, it's not a problem. No one can kick me out of a town house that is owned free and clear - no mortgage on it. And I wouldn't AirBnB my house. I'd rent it to committed renters. So it's a "Plan B" in that if I charge $XXXX a month for the rent... Allocate about a third of that for taxes, HOA fees, insurance... And then live off of the rest, which would be a pretty nice amount in South America.

But in major cities, where people live in high rises, renting? I've no idea how they are able to AirBnB it. I think it just depend on what kind of building you live in. If you live in a walk-up in a nice part of Brooklyn... It's pretty easy. A high rise with doormen? No, probably much harder.

So for me, it's totally a do-able "Plan B". But again, I have no mortgage, own the place outright, and it's a townhouse.

Popular Posts