Primitive Magic "Wand."

Most women would probably slap me out of jealousy for revealing this... I've never needed to wear mascara.

Mascara is usually the one "must-have" for women's make-up routines. Having long, thick lashes helps bring out the eyes. It makes them "pop" and draw you in.

But I've never needed mascara, as my lashes are naturally long, thick and very black. (Could be the Mexican in me.) Yet, even though I don't need it, I do wear it. My lashes are so think that they do lack definition. So each morning, I spend a few minutes obsessing as to how to properly coat each lash without getting the "beauty pageant" spider eyes. I want to get each lash individually, but because mine are so think, I can easily over-do it. So when you're goal is to coat each lash individually, the typical mascara wand makes it difficult. What's a gal to do?

I thought about doing a few things; ranging from taking make-up lessons to learn how to be a true "artiste" when it comes to applying the stuff, to just wearing false lashes every day, to even getting lash extensions put on. All three of these options (especially the last one) can be very pricey.

So, I was stuck with the time-consuming task of searching for the best mascara to give my individual lashes a lift. But, as I discovered, there are about a gazillion different mascaras out there in the world! Where do I start? I'm a beginner at wearing this stuff. How do I know what to look for in a mascara?

I decide to go to the make-up Mecca, Sephora, to find what I needed. Sure enough they had a display with about two-dozen mascaras featured. Some had beautiful and lush wands that create a feathered effect on your lashes. Some had curved brushes to help gals in need of a curl. Others had cutesy packaging promising to give my lashes a "BAD-itude." And it seemed like the going rate for all these "magic" wands was about $23. I began to wonder if this was a good price for something that needed to be replaced every six months. But nonetheless, I kept testing the assortment for the perfect wand.

Truth be told, I kind of felt like Harry Potter when he tests all the magic wands in Ollivander's to find his perfect match of a wand. (HP geeks know what I'm talking about.) Eventually though, the light did shine down on me when I picked up one mascara brand. And to be honest, I could kick myself for not thinking to begin with this one. My soul-mascara (for now) is the Bare Escentuals Magic Wand Brushless Mascara.

All the rest of my make-up is from Bare Escentuals, so I'm not sure why I didn't think to look to that brand first. The brushless mascara wand is quite the wonder. Primitive in form (the first mascaras were originally applied with straight twigs), the wand was easy to maneuver on each lash, leaving them beautifully defined.

I got many compliments on a test-drive of the mascara to my local spa for a pedicure. A few of the pedicurists told me "You look so pretty and rested today." And I happen to be very sick with a cold right now and haven't had enough sleep yet. So I am definitely attributing the pretty-ness to the mascara.

Comments

Popular Posts