The "Sale"-ing Season... The "See Its" and the "Skip Its."

The past few weeks have been crazy with the seasonal sales. And the reality is, there are so many shops and so little time to check them out. Here's the scoop on those to check out and those to scrap.

Louis Boston - SKIP IT
Sure, the racks in the store were loaded with tons of clothes. But there was very little variety. Most pieces felt cloned from one another. And the accessories section was the biggest disappointment. Again, little variety. But the prices, if you found something you liked, were a good deal.

Intermix - SEE IT
A total surprise. I hadn't been in there in about two years. But I was overjoyed when I went in and saw the sale section at the back of the store. All the Chloe platform shoes of the season were on sale and at good prices. I picked up a pair of Paige Denim "Hollywood Hills" jeans for $99. (These are typically $160 to $180 when I buy them at Neiman.) I also found a hot-pink shawl that is perfect for summer dresses.

Saks Fifth - SEE IT
This one is key for accessories. The clothing portion is "so-so." But if you catch the sale at the start, you can find very good deals on shoes, scarves and even bags. So far (this year) I have picked up a new Pucci scarf that was originally $90. I got it for $30.

Neiman Marcus - SKIP IT (In the store.)
Surprisingly... I am calling this one a "skip it." Last year, I loved it. I got my "Gumby-Green" Marc Jacobs bag at 40% off. (And I use it all the time.) But this year, the selection has been disappointing. And the shoe selection is non-existent. I definitely recommend shopping this one online though. Killer selection online.

Barneys - SEE IT
I haven't bought anything here yet. But the shoe section is KILLER. It's like they clear out everything on the shelves and mark it down. And who doesn't love it? One of the best shoe departments in all of Boston is in Barneys.

Cohen's Fashion Optical - SEE IT
I know, pretty random. An eyeglass shop? But seriously, this place is having a great sale right now. I was due for new glasses (been three years already) and saw the sign outside the store on Newbury Street reading "50% off frames." The selection was good, and with the one-hour service, I had them in no time. I ended up with a pair of "editor-ish" deep purple Gucci eyeglasses. The frames were originally $250. I got them (plus the special lenses I have to have for my poor site) for about $300. (My lenses are expensive.)

Banana Republic - SKIP IT
Is it just me, or has this place REALLY gone down-hill in the past year? The quality of their clothes keeps getting worse. I've picked up two sweaters in the past year that have both ran and been labeled "useless." This place really isn't worth it in the sale season... Especially since if you buy something there, someone else is bound to have the same piece.

Marc Jacobs - SEE IT
Stuff is 70% off in the top half of the Newbury Street store. Enough said.

Turtle - SEE IT
This place is across the street from me here in the South End. I walk by it everyday on my way to work. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their windows. They change them once a week. I've bought a scarf from here before. But they have some of the cutest and most original pieces... You have to just pop in and check it out.

Victoria's Secret - SEE IT (But only the Copley Location.)
I've been to other locations... But this one has the best selection. (But the service does lag.) Tons and tons of things on sale in the bins. By only complaint with "Vicki's" though is there bras for girls in the C-cup to D-cup range. I was looking in the bins yesterday and noticed that even in the bras for girls who wear these cup-sizes, they have padding. Not t-shirt bra padding either... I'm talking about the "wonder bra" type of padding. You know, the kind that you find in push up bras to give you more cleavage. Seriously... If you're a C-cup or D-cup, you DON'T need to create cleavage... It's already there. You just need a good bra to keep them up. If you wear a push-up bra, it's just obscene.

So far, that's all I've gotten to. If I come across more, I'll post.

Comments

Sarah said…
I totally need new glasses -for some reason I don't think Cohen's accepts my insurance plan but I will definitely check it out!
Anonymous said…
There has been a mutiny.
Directly after reading about the disappointing accessory sale at Louis, I was filled with so much rage that I stole your ship, hat, and position of Captain.
Me said…
lol... I know, I don't normally post "Anonymous" comments... But the above one gave me a giggle.
Anonymous said…
i am sorry "mr/ms anonymous" but if anyone is taking over the pirate ship its me...so although i understand your anger...get in line...more importantly get in line behind me

Popular Posts