Taming the Frizzies.

I kept a little non-important secret from my husband for the first three years we were together. He never knew I had naturally wavy hair.

From the time I was 15 to the time I was 27, I always straightened my hair. I never washed it and let it air dried into its natural form. I always blew it out and/or stuck it in hot rollers to give the ends a little bounce. If I had time, I would attack it with a cheap flat iron I had picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond on Sixth Avenue in Manhattan.

After I had been in Boston for about a year, I decided to finally submit to the summer humidity and start wearing my hair wavy. It was going to end up frizzy and wavy anyways; no matter how much serum I put in it and how much time I spent flat-ironing it. My hairs were a thick beast. (Still is actually.) And since I made a decision to no longer be the high-maintenance girl I was in my early 20s, wearing it wavy was just the way to go. It was the only option. Besides, I was getting married. I didn't need the sexy straight hair I had back when I was single. My husband had no choice. He had to like me just the way I was now.

Well, it is now two years on. And even though not styling my hair has been a time-saver in the past busy year I have had, it is now time to kick it up a notch. I have decided that at least once a week I will try to tame the frizzy beast that grows on my head. I will straighten it. But this now means I have to use quality conditioners, deep-conditioning repairing treatments, and sticky hair serums... All to get sleek hair. (It's at times like this I would give anything to have thin hair.) I am in the process of testing out new products to live my high maintenance hair lifestyle... Including:

Dove Advanced Care Shampoo and Conditioner


Who would have figured that something so inexpensive would work so well on my hair? Because my hair is so thick and wavy, I need all the moisture I can get. This stuff works best on helping me tame the mess. After I get out of the shower, there are no knots or tangles lingering my hair. Even the most expensive salon shampoos have never worked this well.

Dove Advanced Care Repairing Treatment Therapy

This is simply a more intense conditioner that I throw on my hair once a week. It's cheap and works wonders.

Biolage by Matrix Thermal-Active Setting Spray

I'll admit it... I haven't yet used this. I just picked it up today when I was at the drugstore. I plan on trying it out tomorrow morning though. KT at work told me she uses something in the Biolage line when straightening her hair... Hers is curlier than mine and she is able to straighten it to "pin-thin." So I am testing out this line. It's got to be better than my old stand-by serum. In fact, I find that after you use a serum for a while, it begins to be ineffective. So you need to change it up every year or so.

Here's to keeping my weekday morning beauty routine to an hour! (Ha! Fat chance!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
ahh yes...i know alot about the pains of trying to straighten curly/wavy hair -- sorry for being misleading though...i wasnt talking about Biolage - i was talking about Biosilk(http://www.farouk.com/biosilk/silktherapy/product/st-st.htm)...Biosilk combined with a expensive (ugh!) straigtening iron do the trick for me ...as for the iron - I use a "chi" (http://www.originalchi.com/chi-ceramic-flat-iron.html)

that being said...in the humid weather i give up and live w/ my curls...your best bet is to do the whole straightening thing on a day w/o out rain and a low level of humidity

Popular Posts