Boston, Do You Hate Pregnant Ladies?

I love Boston. If I could move back there, I would do it in a heart beat. (Same goes for NYC.) But in the past two months, I have been HORRIFIED by the stories form two different blogging pals based in that city.

The first happened to a friend who was visibly pregnant and around 6 months along. She got on the orange line and was not offered a seat. Rude, but not unusual at all. However, on this trip, a gentleman dropped a large box on her foot. He didn't apologize. And while she was in tears and trying to remain upright NO ONE ON THE TRAIN OFFERED HER THEIR SEAT. I believe she may have even mentioned to the man with the box that she was pregnant - even though it was obvious. Didn't matter though. She got no sympathy from the man or the riders.

No one batted an eye when she was relaying the conversation to her husband on her cell phone while still on the train.

The second story is from yesterday. Another friend, about eight months along, was walking in town and fell of a curb. She landed on her knee. She sat down in the street/curb. No one asked her if she needed help. No one at all. The street was busy, the day gorgeous. No one stopped for a second to check on the visibly pregnant lady laying in the street.

Boston... I get it. You're filled with extremely intelligent and stylish people. When I lived there, I was fairly self-involved... And in my own brain a lot of the time. But how do you not show common courtesy and concern for preggies?

For the record, I've witnessed this same treatment on mummies/daddies with small children as well as the elderly.

Come on, people! Just because you show a little concern doesn't mean you have to get completely involved. It's called "being civilized." Don't just live in your own little world all the time.

Caring about your fellow Bostonian is a good thing.

Comments

I don't get it too bad pregnant, but DEFINITELY when I have the stroller, people will literally run so they don't have to hold the door for you. I think it has to be a big city thing, because in NYC I gave up my seat to a few elderly people on the subway because no one else would move and then was shocked when at 8 months pregnant no one offered me their seat in return.

I think people in cities get into their routines and just ignore everyone and everything around them. Maybe if your water breaks on them they will pay attention!!!
Not sure if you and I are following the same blog - but I have another person in my blog roll who fell down in Boston (she too is 8 months along). It is pretty sad.

I saw an elderly woman who had Parkinsons - with a chihuahua in her hands - standing in the Orange line train and NO ONE offered her seat! I agree the train is pretty full but how can they NOT feel pity?

One amusing incident occurred when I was traveling from Kenmore to North Station and an old lady got in Hynes. She walks up to the seated persons and asks them "Excuse me? Can I have your seat?". The person then jumps up and gives her his seat. As soon as he does that this lady shouts at the top of her voice - "SHAME ON YOU!! I had to ASK you this??" HAHAH!
Me said…
This horrifies me. I get that people in cities tend to be "rush rush" and in their own world... But common courtesy should not be lost. So insane!
marzz said…
I've only been in Boston twice and I witnessed this on the subway too.

However, on a trip to NYC last month I was very pleasantly surprised by the kind and courteous behaviour of New Yorkers on the subway. I witnessed people giving up their subway seats to the elderly, pregnant, parents with young kids. New Yorkers were friendly, making small talk on elevators, stores, restaurants, everywhere. Torontonians unfortunately wouldn't even make eye contact. NYC rocks!
bikramyogachick said…
Holy cow. I live in Vegas (transient pretty much horrible place) and the people here would at least help a pregnant lady (if you are away from the strip and in the living areas).
I feel so bad for your friends!
Chivalry is dead. :(
a. said…
I was in New Hampshire for a friend's wedding a few weeks ago and spent about half a day in Boston. An Asian tourist came up to me and asked me for directions. I said I didn't know. He asked again and looked at me like I was either an asshole or an idiot. I explained that I was visiting from Seattle and didn't know where anything was. Finally he stopped giving me a dirty look! I do feel bad when I travel because no matter where I am, people will ask me for directions (NYC, Sydney, Boston) but I can only ever tell anyone where things are if I'm in Portland or Seattle.
Corey Tyler said…
Moxie--

This is an old post, but any time someone calls out the cranky mccrankiness of Assholechusetts, I have to co-sign. Angry people live here.

Hope your kicking much ass in Canada.

Popular Posts